Night Shot

barich16cmu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a night shot. I just got my new camera, a Canon S2 IS and was playing around with the settings. What does everybody think about the picture. What else can be done to make better night shots? I am going on vacation soon to LA and want to get better before I attempt the skyline shots there.

IMG_0015.jpg

Hopefully this is done right. I dont know how to resize images.

The thing that I have learned only very recently and on this very TPF is that you have to set your camera to the smallest possible aperture (highest number) as not to blow out light sources that you get into your photo. The small aperture will make lovely little stars out of the lamps.

To me it seems as if you opened your shutter wide in the attempt to reduce exposure time. But you fare better with a long exposure and a small shutter opening.

This particular photo will "get more life" if you crop it freely: left and right houses: off. Amount of snow in the foreground: off. Then look at it again and decide which one you like better. Try it. You tried night photography for the first time, too ;) :D.

I really dont know much about the settings. I used a 5 second shutter speed and and f of 5.0.

Im not really sure what the "f" thing is, but that is what my camera suggested I use for a 5 second shutter.

Im not really too worried about cropping this picture, because this was just practice. I was really just concerned about the right settings on my camera. Thanks for the input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back