night shots...HELP

PiMpPiStOl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
so, ive been trying to play with my camera and crap, i got it on a god setting the other day, i tried it again, it sucked. so i dont get that at all!!!1

but right now, i wanna take pics of my yard, in the rain at night. im just playing around seeing if i can get some kind of pictures. is it possibel to take pics at night???

... i got it on a god setting the other day,...

You know, there are several settings on my camera (M, Tv, Av, P), and a lot of menu options; but I haven't come across a "god setting" just yet ..... please explain what that is ......

Anyway, to answer your question about photography in the dark - I'll give you a qualified "yes" .... the "qualified" part because you don't give any information about what camera or lens you're working with.

However, I will recommend reading a book on basic exposure. There's a lot of information that we could give, but given the lack of specifics in your post I don't think anyone knows just where to start in trying to help out.

As Cecil stated, it IS possible to take photos at night. You'll just probably be exposing at 10+ seconds depending on how bright it is outside. Due to the long exposure time, you'll definitely need to shoot on a tripod.

Hello, I wanted to ask the same question about night shots. I have a Nikon D50 18-55mm. This city im living in right now has many openings that lead to underground tunnels and stairs for people to walk. Late at night, when I'm walking through the street I see these stairs which lead to a kind of tunnel.
At the begginning of the tunnel there is a bit of light which lights the first stairs and the awesome grafitti in the wall then, darkness seems to be looming out of the depths.
Any recomendations on how to capture this? I know I'll defenetely have to take my tripod because of long expositions. Thanks in advanced!

asr84 - If your scene has some very dark and some very light aspects your main problem is probably going to be metering.

Personally I would have the camera in P mode and take a pic (using the tripod) then take a look at the histogram. On the D50 you do this by pressing the preview button and then down on the D pad by your right thumb (to the right of the screen).

If the graph "falls off" to the left parts of your pic are too dark and if it "falls off" to the right then areas of your pic are too light. You can then use exposure compensation to correct the problem.

There is probably a better way to do this but that's how I would try it with my limited knowledge.

I would be very interested to see these pics when you have taken them.

thanks Britonk.
To tell you the truth this is my first big upgrade in equipment and I'm really excited about it. Ever since I bought this machine I find out more every day what an amazing tool it is.

About the photos, I'll go this weekend late at night about 3am. That will be the first try. I'm also interested in seeing how they will turn out. :wink:

If your Night Shots are going to include any sky. You will find that you probably have a 20 minuite window as the sun sets, where you will get a really lovely dark blue in the sky. After that the sky goes a really boaring black....as said before you WILL need a really good tripod. Also you may find it helpful to use the mirror lock up (If you have one) and the timer so that you don't nudge the camera as you press the shutter.

Nope, no skyline. It's 3am night, completely dark except from some street lights. I'm thinking wide aperture and real slow shutter speed but what about the ISO?

You can try setting the ISO quite high but with it being a dark you might get a bit of noise. Having said that the D50 is quite good for not adding noise to high ISO pics. Shame you are limited to the kit lens it doesn't have a very big aperture.

with a good tripod iso is not really a problem. Set it to about 200. Mirror lock up, timer , and press the shutter release. Walk away a pace or two (If you can). wait 'til it closes and look for the traffic trails blurred or missing totally type people etc...

so, ive been trying to play with my camera and crap, i got it on a god setting the other day, i tried it again, it sucked...

Hahaha. :lol: I wonder if the forum viewers that aren't native English speakers read that and wonder "He's playing with his camera and his ....??? WTF?"

I'm not really sure what you're saying here so I can't comment but I don't know if rain would photograph well. You'd have to get the right shutter speed to ensure the rain isn't frozen in air and looking like dots, or too long of a shutter speed and having the rain just look like blurry lines. Maybe if playing with the aperture but at nite I'd think you'd be forced into long exposures and would lose any affect the rain might give.

Pics at nite are relatively easy though... like the others said it's just a matter of a tripod and long exposure.

Most reactions

Back