Night Shots

blind1587

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was out earlier tonight just messing around with my camera. None of the images have been touched in photoshop yet. Nothing too special here, but some comments would be appreciated. What do you think of the images? What can I do to improve them both through the camera and post processing? Thanks

nighttrain.jpg

blind1587
highway4.jpg

highway3.jpg

highway2.jpg

highway1.jpg

highway.jpg

Last edited:
Well they are nice snapshots, you didn't really make anything new and exciting, defiantly needs better composition. I would take some time going around town to find a better spot where you will see more than just one street, maybe multiple streets and buildings as well. Add some zing to it you know

Davor makes a good point on the composition. 2 and 4 have the most appeal to me (5 is worst for comp as I am concerned) The alternative version of the other comps have less balance from the car lights.
As for the first; probably avoid the light parts like the sign in the top left corner - it draws attention away. You would also get a more interesting image is you had some people who are motion blurred like the train. A little cliche but with strong composition could make a good image.

why do people post like this? not to be harsh but you stuck your camera at a highway and change the shutter speed. im pretty sure nobody finds these ''good''.

i am sorry you get such feedbacks...but you did not give a thought before posting very similar images; if you had posted only one among them things would not have turned so harsh i feel. You see, no body was criticizing the quality of the image...so you know what it is all about

I am not looking for anyone to find these "good." I was simply out messing around with the camera the other night, maybe if you had read the post you would have known that. I am just starting out in photography, and I am in my first photography class. By the way kalmkidd, the reason for this pictures is because the assignment for this week is to get familiar with shutter speed. Sorrry, but I didn't know you had to post professional quality pictures to get feedback on here. I thought the reason for this forum was to get feedback in order to improve yourself.

Read their posts and it will help you. You ask for comments, they give em to you, though it might not be what you want to hear...

They are certainly an investigation on shutter speed, but like everyone else has said there does not appear to be any other intent. The composition is weak (lots of distracting elements, not using rules of thirds) and while there are lines all over the photos they do not lead anywhere.

Last edited:
Okay....Thanks. As far as composition goes....are the distracting elements the street lights and that sort of thing? I wasn't looking for these to be great shots, as it was only to mess around with shutter speed, but feedback on how to make them better is always appreciated.

Lol.

Your gonna have to learn to take harsh criticism, don't let it bother you. That **** will eat you up if you let it get to you.

Decent exposures, just boring. Picking a spot that has some more infrastructure would have suited you better in those bulb mode exposures. It would have "broken" it up I guess you could say. The last exposure is the best, imo.

Okay....Thanks. As far as composition goes....are the distracting elements the street lights and that sort of thing? I wasn't looking for these to be great shots, as it was only to mess around with shutter speed, but feedback on how to make them better is always appreciated.
The light posts and signs seems to be the main distraction imo. They can be used in some situations where they can help emphasize a point, however, so do not think they are always useless! Patterns can be your friend with those types of things.

Okay, great. Thanks for the input.

I never said that the images are bad; actually i liked them ; my only intent was images look almost the same. If their shutter speeds were different, you could have mentioned with each of the image, so that better comments would ensue. Regards :D

Read their posts and it will help you. You ask for comments, they give em to you, though it might not be what you want to hear...

They are certainly an investigation on shutter speed, but like everyone else has said there does not appear to be any other intent. The composition is weak (lots of distracting elements, not using rules of thirds) and while there are lines all over the photos they do not lead anywhere.

couldn't of said it better. i was not trying to be harsh but you ask for cc on a images that are all the same and the same sure is NOT interesting. if your gonna work on shutter do it with a interesting subject, trying panning, etc a bunch of car lights shuttered out on a highway in 20 of the same pics leading no where is not gonna get good feedback. this pic is it awesome no. but it was from a series, has a interesting point to it, and adjusted shutter for the water effect. just find a subject that catches the eye.

disregard picture quality i quickly uploaded with image shack.

Ok...No problem. Thanks for the input! I obviously took it harsh...lol. If I sounded like an a**hole, I apologize, I misinterpreted the reply.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back