Night sky and fill flash = ....

Great photos. They show us how small we are in the world :)

It's incredible how small we are, and how some feel superior to others.

how about ur gf photo?the jump one.
she already stand in front of the camera and u shoot.then u start lighting and she jump.and after jumping
she go outside of the frame.right?
i want to shoot like that. pls explain in detail.

Remember that the flash pretty much freezes her motion.

I set up the shot at f/2.8 for 30 seconds. She stands in the frame where she shall jump. I count to three, at which time she jumps and I fire the flash manually. I pressed the shutter release at around two-ish. When she lands, she moves out of the frame, and we all wait happily for the shutter to close. :)

It took two or three tries to get this right - mostly due to my poor flash timing :)

I can try to explain in a little more detail what I did, as some are interested :) I'm always happy to help with what limited knowledge I do possess! :)

I set the aperture to f/2.8, which is as wide as I can go on my Tokina 11-16/2.8. I wanted as much light as I could possibly gather with the lens, to get as much detail in the sky as possible. Secondly, I set the shutter time to thirty seconds. There's a two-point balance here, consisting of (1) the amount of light I want and (2) stars starting to "streak" due to a long exposure time. I chose thirty seconds, because I knew, from experience, that this is pretty much as long as I can go before the stars streak too much. You can see a tiny bit of streaking in the shots here, already. Thirty seconds gives me more light than, say, 20 seconds - I wanted to get as much light as possible.

The third thing I needed to decide, was the ISO. I chose ISO-800. Not too much noise, yet I get more detail from the light gathered (to say it like that). ISO-100 would give me "cleaner" shots, but with less detail in the sky.

Lastly, I had my flash. If I didn't use it, the light would be much, much darker (Image 1). I have an old Vivitar flash, on which power settings can't be directly changed. I just tried what it looked like from a certain distance, and just used that for all the shots. Seeing as the shutter speed was thirty seconds, I had plenty of time to move around to get the angle I wanted. In addition to this, I wouldn't really matter if I walked in the frame. I would be very dark, and ghost when I walked. If I stayed in the same place for long, then I might have appeared on the final image as some weird blurry shadow.

As for the angle I used, I chose one that didn't bring too many harsh shadows in the frame, either on the field or on the house itself. I made sure to be in front of the tripod, or else it would cast a shadow.

It's all just basic reflections of how light works in photography :) Maybe this helped some!

Image 1

Unedited RAW file converted to JPEG using Irfan View.

Did you use a built in flash on your camera or a flash that you attach? Thanks for the info I am very inexperienced. love the crispness of your photos!

Fun to see that this thread is still getting visitors. How, I can't explain :)

I used an off camera flash. An old Vivitar flash that I held in my hand, not coupled to the camera. I fired it some meters away from the camera, somewhere in the 30 seconds time frame.

beautiful skies!

My favourite is photo 2. Thanks for sharing how you shot some of these. :thumbup:

Seriously awesome stuff! Thanks for posting the workings of the shot. I'm gonna go try this out for sure

My techniques? Hmm. We all stand on the shoulders of giants.

Most reactions

Back