Night sky... in the city

surge

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I will confess to being a wee bit fed up of coming home from work to a dark sky, and getting up in the morning to a dark sky :(

so i've resorted to taking pictures of said dark sky :)

although i do live within a conurbation so the night sky isn't as full of stars as it should be.

DSC_2166_EV1.jpg

Composite.jpg

can any of you live with these street light lit results?

honestly i didn't photoshop the stars in!!
although the sky in #2 isn't original (if you'll forgive me)
All comments welcome

I was gonna say something about the sky in number 2... o well, cool pics!

#2 would have been cool.... but I respect that you said it was fake.

I like #2, too.
"Fake" sky or not ... at one point in time you did photograph this sky, didn't you? Makes the photo nicely dramatic.

What caused the blue stripes in #1?

I vote for #2. What is the blue in the sky of #1? Looks like a blue fork in the clouds.

Thanks all for your kind replies,

yes i did take the p*shop'ed sky

DSC_1961.jpg

only its been cloned/mirrored/rotated to make the area of sky twice as large without loosing quality (you loose a lot of useable area when you rotate it) and then touched up so the reflection isn't as noticeable.

The two blue patches in photo #2, for example, started life as a mirrored reflection. Altering the top one to make it smaller only took a minute (literally) with the clone stamp tool on about 60%. Hope that inspires!

The blue fork in #1, hmm not too sure about that one:

There are street lights out of shot below the frame that might be causing some weird lense flare? - i don't have a hood. But they're a nasty orange colour, definitly not blue...

Or perhaps its an aurora? The camera is pointing pretty much north as the frying pan (as we call the star shape in this part of the world) indicates... and it was a long exposure.

But to be honnest i've never seen the aurora with my own eyes and the blue certainly wasn't there in the sky - the view finder showed mainly black!

Either way i really like it, and its quite fortunate that its centre of the shot and not off in a corner.

Anyways you've encouraged me to go try again, i'll post results back if i get any. (and we've just had our first low land snow of the year :D )

Both pics are nice and I am glad you also admitted you enhanced a little with photoshop. It always make me wonder how all those nice skies and clouds, etc., get into the pic. Makes for an interesting photo.

Most reactions

Back