Night Sky

stapo49

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I drove down to the beach to for my first attempt at night sky photography. Unfortunately I got down there to early and as the wind was bloody freezing I didn't stay long. I will wait for the weather to warm up and go later in the night next time. Here are a few I took.

night 1.jpg

night 2.jpg

night 3.jpg

It's a nice start. The stars look pin-point and I like the colors. You'll get to where you want to be before long, keep at it.

It's a nice start. The stars look pin-point and I like the colors. You'll get to where you want to be before long, keep at it.

Thanks mate. I got some great colours out of these. Next time I will plan to go much later and get a lot more stars.

I have no experience in this type photography, but in the first, won't there be too much light pollution from the town's lights?
Great colors in the last!

Just curious as to what equipment you used.

I used the Panasonic G9 and the Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4.0. I shot in manual mode with manual focusing.

I have no experience in this type photography, but in the first, won't there be too much light pollution from the town's lights?
Great colors in the last!

You are spot on about the light pollution.

When I realised that I had got down there way to early and wasn't going to get to many stars I decided to experiment to see what the image would look like including the lights from the houses along the coast.

Next time I will either get there later at night or really early in the morning and shoot straight out into the ocean to hopefully get a lot more stars.

Are you planning on getting any type of motorized star tracking mount? From what I've read it's best to have one for good, deep, light gathering.

I love the sky during that hour of the day and you got some good ones. What kind of star photos are you wanting to get? Star trails or pin point?

Are you planning on getting any type of motorized star tracking mount? From what I've read it's best to have one for good, deep, light gathering.
I haven't thought that far ahead. It depends how much I get into it. I will see how I go using a tripod for now.

I love the sky during that hour of the day and you got some good ones. What kind of star photos are you wanting to get? Star trails or pin point?
Thanks. I am not really a fan of star trails so aiming for pin point.

Work out your exposure times before you go so you have an idea of how long you can leave the shutter open before you start to see some blur in the stars. This will save you some trail and error time in the cold of night. Without the lack of light that late at night, you probably will want some type of light source to light up your foreground. Also make sure you have your hyperfocal point marked on your lens for your aperture and know the distance your foreground subject needs to be from you to get everything is sharp focus.

If you already know all of this, just ignore it and maybe it will help someone else. lol

Work out your exposure times before you go so you have an idea of how long you can leave the shutter open before you start to see some blur in the stars. This will save you some trail and error time in the cold of night. Without the lack of light that late at night, you probably will want some type of light source to light up your foreground. Also make sure you have your hyperfocal point marked on your lens for your aperture and know the distance your foreground subject needs to be from you to get everything is sharp focus.

If you already know all of this, just ignore it and maybe it will help someone else. lol
It's all useful information. Thanks [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back