night technuiqe with flashlight

burnerjunky

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
im new to photography and i saw this cool segment on current t.v. where this guy would take night shots in complete darkness with the shutter speed really slow and then as the film was being exposed, he would light up the subject with a flashlight, so only it was illuminated with city lights in the background or something. Has anyone else heard of this and know what the technique is called

I did this with my SB-600 the other night...Is that kinda what you are talking about?

DSC_3944smaller.jpg

I dunno...I thought it was kinda cool.

No ive never heard of that but it sounds like it could be a pretty interesting photo.

It's often called "painting with light". You leave the shutter open, and 'paint' in in the parts that you want to be exposed. Google it and I'm sure you will get lots of info. It's also a technique used sometime by forensic photographers to photograph crime scenes at night.

yeah thats what it sounds like. thanks guys. i've got to try this now

Get a big utility flashlight that allows you to adjust the width of the beam. Then you can paint with a broad or narrow brush. You can stretch colored plastic wrap over the flashlight to change the color.

Most reactions

Back