night time at the resort

meotter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
IMG_2992.jpg

I don't think it's too dark. But I do think it needs a focus. I like the green lights here... it reminds me of a night club which is strange coz in this photo there's no one.

i kinda thought the green illuminations was the focus. hmm.. what would you suggest as a focus in this shot?

the interesting thing about this shot is that none of the lights were green, all the lights must have been tinted by the palm leaves. also the original shot doesn't look this dark... wonder what happened for here. i can see some palm sillohettes in the original.

oh wait, i can see palm silouhettes in this one too... hmm... i think brightening it up will lose the edge it has...

I have always seen the palm silhouettes in this photo, meotter.
It would have been nice to see at least two persons in this photo. But alas! they were not there. So I take the "green" light as the focus ;)

how does this strike you? i just adjusted the levels a little bit to bring a little more contrast into the sky, better? what else would you adjust? i didn't like playing with the contrast & brightness too much, i started to blow out the parts that are lit. even this picture seems a little muddy with the level change.

IMG_2992a.jpg

Oops, we are posting at the same time... I like the better definition of things around the pool and reflected by the pool, but the sky has suffered from your adjustments. It now shows way too much... what is the word for digital photos again? Grain it is for prints... NOISE. That`s it. Too much noise in the sky now.

The second post is a huge difference, although the green is more washed I can see more detail, most especially in the pool. In any night shot as such it's really tough not to blow something out, and you took it right to the edge, which is normaly what has to be done.

I was't drawn to the first post... felt it was a bit contrasty. (Is that a word?)

I do like your second post. A shame about the added noise though. A shot like this presents quite a challenge. Nice results!

-Pete

I actually liked the first one better...I liked the way the light falls off and the edges fade away into nothing. It's spooky that way...second one is too literal for me, and less interesting because of it...

thanks for the comments guys :) i was going to try and change the levels of everything but the sky, but it got a little too complicated so i just gave up :p

if anybody is feeling ambitious, i'd love to see what others can do with this photo. feel free to edit & repost :)

meotter said:
...if anybody is feeling ambitious, i'd love to see what others can do with this photo.

That's what the "Photoshop Challenge" section in the Photo Themes is there for: to put up a pic that you fail to photoshop to your heart's content, so you let others take a go at it. Sometimes they are invited to do fun changes, or let their imagination run free with a photo, sometimes you ask for some serious help. Put it up there. You know where?

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=43

I like the "improved" picture better! Then you can see more details

Most reactions

Back