Night Time Camera settings

JohnUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am used to night photography with my DSLR but want to try with my Leica iiif. I understand how to set the Leica up and take Bulb shots and have the tripod and shutter release cable etc.

I have looked at Fred Parker’s exposure calculator and another one online too, and have a good idea now of how to “guestimate” the times for my manual rangefinder camera.

However, I can see that it would help to, firstly, fully understand what Fred means by the situations he describes and secondly, to have some experience and practice of taking such long exposures.

I am hoping that experienced photographers here may be able to help me in this regard and answer the questions below. Any help would hopefully cut through a great deal of trial and error on my part, help others in the future and, be very welcome.

1a What examples come within the two categories “a subject lit by dim ambient artificial light” ?At 400iso and f16 the categories are 1minute and 2minutes.
1b Can anyone give some examples of these two types of lighting which, I have also seen described elsewhere, as subjects lit by artificial light- (1 minute) and by dim or indirect lighting- (2 minutes) ?
2 What is the difference between “subjects under bright street lights” which are 4 seconds at 400 iso f16 and “brightly lit night streets” which appear to be ½ second at the same settings?
3 I can understand “floodlit buildings fountains and monuments” and, indeed “subjects under bright street lights” being 4 seconds at 400 iso and f16 but I then struggle to know what can and should be shot with a shutter speed of between 4 seconds to 1 and indeed 2 minutes (other than fireworks, lightning and distance view of skyline and distant floodlit buildings)

John

I have a Leica Rangefinder manual camera.

I am hoping that experienced photographers here may be able to help me to answer the questions I have asked. Any help would hopefully cut through a great deal of trial and error on my part, help others in the future and, be very welcome.

The writer has developed a body of experience that he has chosen to distill into somewhat easily described lighting scenarios.

His "subject lit by dim ambient artificial light" might mean something like someone sitting outside a cafe window where the light from inside is the main light, but no other significant light source is nearby.

The various light sources do provide a wide range of light, and it is primarily through experience that one is able to evaluate and categorize the relative amounts of light in any given situation.

I think your next assignment will be to go out at night looking for such easily recognized lighting setups and just take some pictures. Be sure to bracket your exposures and keep good notes for when you get your film processed.

Good luck!

Yup. Thanks. Trial and error. I would like to avoid that but not sure I will.

Invest in a hand-held light meter. Used correctly, it will get you 'very close' to the exposure settings you need. Then simply shoot a couple of bracket shots on each side. For really critical shots, bracket +/- 1-2-3 each way.

Plan B: Set your DSLR to the same ISO as your film. Let your DSLR meter and histogram be your 'guide' to what shutter speed and f-stop to use. Then use those settings on the film camera. Bracket as usual.

For Gods sake I have a slr

what a useless forum this is

Cool your jets Ace. This forum is only as useless as your ability to read.

The prior poster suggested you get a hand held light meter for your FILM SLR.

He also suggested that if you DO have a DSLR that you can use the meter to get exposure info to plug into your film camera.

Yea, you're right. Useless are us. Stop reading here.

Also don't read any more of Fred Parker's junk either, just to make sure nobody gives you any remotely useful information.

Most reactions

Back