Night time shooting - wildlife specific

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok I would be gratefull for any advice and experiences people have had with this, since I recently got a quick chance to try this out and did make a little bit of a mess of it first time around - I have worked out where some of my mistakes have been, but would like to know more!

Here are my early first attempts:

3229402197_e8e48eb79c.jpg

f2.8, ISO 100, 1/8sec, flash used, manual mode.
link to larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3229402197_4f7985f592_o.jpg

Well I used a wide aperture due to the darkness. A friend was holding the flashlight which I originally thought would provide enough light to help get a good exposure - however it was clear even from a review on the back of the camera that it was not helping much with the shot. I also should add that I was unable to get my flash unit auto focusing assist beam for dark shooting to work.

3230253264_bc98309415.jpg

f2.8, ISO 100, 1/4sec, flash fired, manual mode.
link to larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3433/3230253264_8f30a9caf7_o.jpg

3229403253_66e1e66e76.jpg

f2.8, ISO 100, 1/4sec, flash fired, manual mode.
link to larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3096/3229403253_3b8bc023f1_o.jpg

These next two shots I took with the flashlight off - using the flash auto adjustment feature to fire the flash (manually) once before for the flash to detect the needed amount for a good exposure and then pressed the shutter button to take the shot and thus also fire the flash at those settings.
This has worked well - far better than I thought - and the results are good. I could have spent far longer shooting the little guy, but after being spotted by the husky on a walk (which alerted me to his presence) and then being flashed by not only a torch, but 2 flashes (my friend with a bridge camera - and working AF assist beam ;)) I thought that by now he had had enough so we left him in peace.

Any comments, crits and advice welcome - thanks :)

Last edited:
I think they're great. No "mistakes" of any great significance. You just need to convince the little bugger to pose for you. :D They're all pretty centered. In this particular case without emotional or storytelling poses I guess someone could call that a mistake... but it's probably only obvious because your subject wasn't cooperating.

I found one way (with some animals) it get an interesting reaction is to do a super faint through-the-teeth whistling sound. The kind that drive dogs nuts with the perked ears and the searching for the source of the sound. I dunno about that little guy but many animals will stop dead, raise their head and look around long enough (usually) to get a shot or two.

Thanks for the tip :)
This was a first attempt so I was a little more interested in just getting a good expsure and sharpness on him than focusing on his details - I could have stayed longer for a better pose, but I thought that I had flashed him enough.

Most reactions

Back