Nightclub photography

Saska

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I do some photography out on nightclubs, where lightning conditions are very poor (sample: White Room - STUREPLAN.se).

A recurrent problem I have when photographing at clubs is that the subject of my images (people) often become very light (white faces, ghost-like) whilst the background of the images becomes very dark. Not always, but very often.

Sample of dark images:
Nattstad - Vimmelbilder från Parken
Nattstad - Vimmelbilder från Deep

Better lightning conditions provide lighter images:
Nattstad - Vimmelbilder från Park Lane
Nattstad - Vimmelbilder från Deep

I use Nikon D60 with standard lens AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 that came with. External flash sb-600. I use settings F3,5 iso800 and shutterspeed 1/8. Any tips of how to get brighter images? Need to get a new lens, maybe?

it makes me wonder if your using a flash at all? if you are i would try not using any flash and see how that works out

I have done the same thing, back in those days I used a D40x with a sb-600 and had the same problem as you, until I got my Gary Fong Lighsphere. The lighsphere will save your life in this case, just shoot through it do not bounce it, and try to shoot the sb-600 in manual mode not TTL.

To make the background lighter you need to let more ambient light in by using a slower shutter speed or using a higher ISO

This club looks like it needs more ecstasy.

I know this was about lighting but the people are in a night club where people go to have fun and they all look like they came from a funeral and are forced to pose for a picture. The first girl has a dreadful expression on her face.

Yep, I use an sb-600 with a diffuser. But the flash can only light up the faces, it's not strong enough to lit up the whole room.

I use isop 800 anything more than that will make the picture grainy. Iso 1600 makes it too grainy. And I cant use a slower shutter speed as the pic gets too blurry. My friends shots with shutter speed 1/60 (!) but has a different lens and uses F1,5 and his pics look brilliant! SO i wonder if there is anything more I can do with my camera equipment to get better pics or if I need to upgrade to someting more sensitive to light?

I have done the same thing, back in those days I used a D40x with a sb-600 and had the same problem as you, until I got my Gary Fong Lighsphere. The lighsphere will save your life in this case, just shoot through it do not bounce it, and try to shoot the sb-600 in manual mode not TTL.
Maybe need to get a Lightsphere then. It ought to be cheaper than a new lens. Manuala mode? How? What settings should I have?

Most reactions

Back