Nighttime Freeway - Long Exposure

TechArtist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.behance.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So this is my 1st long exposure of a freeway at night. ISO 100, F/8.0, with a 15 second exposure. Does anyone know, when doing this type of photography, how to take the picture(or fix it in post) to where the lights don't become blown out stars?

Fun Fact: Had the police called on me because someone must not have seen my camera and decided I was going to jump. Luckily the officers were understanding and knew what I was actually doing but it is still aggravating having something like that happen.

$Nightime Freeway by CS.jpg

The star pattern in the lights is usually a by-product of using a smaller aperture. Be thankful no one mistook your camera for a gun or that visit from the cops could have been less friendly.

The star pattern in the lights is usually a by-product of using a smaller aperture. Be thankful no one mistook your camera for a gun or that visit from the cops could have been less friendly.
Ah. So if I had used a smaller F/Stop I would have not gotten the stars? I will have to remember that.

Yea that I am thankful for. The 2 officers were very understanding once I showed them what I was doing. Not mad at them at all nor were they with me. Honestly, I expected that to happen which is why I almost didn't go out tonight. It is just too public and well traveled road to be doing that kind of thing on because people start thinking your up to something.

TechArtist said:
Ah. So if I had used a smaller F/Stop I would have not gotten the stars? I will have to remember that.

Yea that I am thankful for. The 2 officers were very understanding once I showed them what I was doing. Not mad at them at all nor were they with me. Honestly, I expected that to happen which is why I almost didn't go out tonight. It is just too public and well traveled road to be doing that kind of thing on because people start thinking your up to something.

A small aperture is what caused the stars. You would need a larger aperture to not get stars

Yeah, every time I try to kill myself, it's aggravating as all get-out that some total stranger cares about me.

Here is a quick and dirty example of how aperture can effect strong light sources:

f/3.8 - f8.0 - f/22

$DSC_5489.jpg$DSC_5488.jpg$DSC_5486.jpg

480sparky said:
Yeah, every time I try to kill myself, it's aggravating as all get-out that some total stranger cares about me.

Agreed. It's things like this that show me there are still good people left

awesome story and nice long exposure shot. thanks for the advice on the f/stop.

The point is... He wasn't trying to kill himself. He was trying to take a picture.

I'd find it aggravating if the same happened to me.

o hey tyler said:
The point is... He wasn't trying to kill himself. He was trying to take a picture.

I'd find it aggravating if the same happened to me.

Agreed.

As far as the starry effect from using a small aperture, I think it makes for an awesome effect when shooting the chrome on automobiles. So, even though they get blown out, I actually like it... Even though it's not, by definition, photographically correct.

As far as the starry effect from using a small aperture, I think it makes for an awesome effect when shooting the chrome on automobiles. So, even though they get blown out, I actually like it... Even though it's not, by definition, photographically correct.

Many times they are beneficial to a photo (such as the scenario you mentioned) and there is a good bit of info on how to manipulate the effect and even lens filters specifically designed to enhance it. I think the only time they are photographically incorrect is when you purposefully attempt to avoid them and fail.

Most reactions

Back