Nighttime Series (feedback needed)

immski

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, I went out shooting tonight in my hometown. I live in a little Town called Keene, NH. Ever since I recieved my new Digi Rebel XT, I have not been able to stop shooting. I went out with my little brother and shot the downtown area of my quaint little town. These are the ones i think came out the best. This was also my first time doing 100% manual so I was pretty pleased with the results. Please give me honest feedback as I am trying to learn as much as I can as fast as possible. Thanks!:p

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!

Paul, first off number six is awesome it has a kind of creepy gothic look to it. Couple things you might want to play with, first your images have an yellow orangish hue to them, you might want to play with your white balance, you could try changing it to tungsen as sometimes that works better at night. Also just remember to play around with different angles a good picture is shot from an angle you would never think to look at by yourself, You have to come out and do some shooting with Josh and I once we get back to school Rochester is just unbelievable to take pictures of! All in All though good efforts here i am in desperate need of an SLR hopefully ill get one soon! keep shooting!

I like what you are doinf here. My first bit of advice would be to shoot in RAW for night shots and then adjust the white balance after the fact. Do not however use the Canon Raw software as it pretty much sucks (I know I have it) Instead download Rawshooter. The free version is very nice and it is free.

The second piece of advice is that on a lot of these shots the camera looks a little tilted. That is a cool effect if that is what you were going for, but if it is not try to keep things a bit straighter.

The third piece of advice I have for you is to keep on shooting. That is perhaps the biggest advantage to digital. You can shot away and it costs nothing. That way you can experiment and play all you want, and find out what works and what doesn't work. Back when I got my first SLR (A Pentax K1000) there was only film which cost a lot of money when I was in high school.

Personally I like the 'yellowed' effect from the street lights. But I agree with Wally about the tilt. Especially with buildings, i like to keep the verticles verticle. Looks off when it's just a few degrees off.

Night time shooting is harder than it seems, but once you get the hang of it, the rewards are exceptional. Just keep practicing until you feel comfortable..

Most reactions

Back