Instructional DVD
4GB SD Memory Card
Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery
Quick Charger
Audio/Video Cable
USB Cable
Strap
PictureProject CD-Rom

I would be my first good camera and a replacement for my old Sony DSC-F717. I'm an architect and have always wanted to learn photography. Is this camera a good start? I'm a little skeptical about the combo with those lenses.

I wonder if you would recommend any other model within the range of 800-1000 that good be a good starting investment.

Thank you.

Last edited:
It's a perfectly fine outfit to begin with; the 70-300VR is an above-average zoom lens for its range,and well worth keeping moving forward. The 18-55 VR is okay; not nearly as desirable as the 70-300 VR is, but capable. The D90 has become Nikon's best-selling d-slr model, according to Thom Hogan's Nikon-centric website. Not sure why you'd want to ditch on something that nice and that capable...

The D90 is a GREAT camera for the $$. The kit lenses you have are fine, and great to experiment with. Once you figure out what you shoot most, you can consider what more specialized lenses to add to your kit.

Thank you for your responses. I've been doing some reading on websites and found that the D90 is discontinued. Is that right?

I don't know much about lenses and stuff. I suppose (as you suggested) that as I learn, I will know what I need. I just don't want to spend on a camera that will be obsolete the next year. I've seen people leaning over the 5000 or 7000 series. I don't know if the features are worth for dropping the kit and getting a more expensive body instead (since I've seen that the 7000 body is a little more expensive).

I noticed also that the D90 has HD video. I know it's not what it was designed for, but I think that is a nice feature for parties and other things.

...i've done a little more reading and looks like the D7000 is a better choice. Am I right?

If that is so, what (basic) lens would you recommend to pair it with?

ouch, ...never mind. The D90 kit was around 1,200. I just saw that the D7000 body is around 1,500 and I would still need to add a basic lense, bag, etc. I can't spend 2,000 dlls in a camera now.

At least I know not that it is better than the D5000 (the other option for now) and that the next step will be the D7000 if nikon does not release something better I can afford.

Still, any advise will be welcomed.

Thank you guys.

Just found this kit in J&R for 1,500.00

Box Contents: Nikon D7000 Body, Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-25 QuickCharger, Eyepiece Cap, Rubber Eyecup, USB Cable, A/V Cable, Camera Strap, LCD Monitor Cover, Body Cap, Shoe Cover, ViewNX 2

Is it worth the change? I'd have to add 300 bucks though.

Please, advise.

Thank you for your responses. I've been doing some reading on websites and found that the D90 is discontinued. Is that right?
No. The D90 hasn't been discontinued. It will eventually, just as the D40/D40x/D50/D60/D70/D70s, and D80 were before it.

Nikon recently introdued the D7000 but said it was not intended to replace the D90. We'll see.

The D5000 has been officially discontinued recently.

Just found this kit in J&R for 1,500.00

Box Contents: Nikon D7000 Body, Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-25 QuickCharger, Eyepiece Cap, Rubber Eyecup, USB Cable, A/V Cable, Camera Strap, LCD Monitor Cover, Body Cap, Shoe Cover, ViewNX 2

Is it worth the change? I'd have to add 300 bucks though.

Please, advise.
All this stuff ↓ comes with every Nikon camera body, though the battery and charger may be different models:

EN-EL15 Rechargeable Li-ion Battery, MH-25 QuickCharger, Eyepiece Cap, Rubber Eyecup, USB Cable, A/V Cable, Camera Strap, LCD Monitor Cover, Body Cap, Shoe Cover, ViewNX 2

Yes, it would be worth $300 more $$$'s. The D7000 is more capable than the D90 in many ways.

I got the same bundle/set from Costco. Great deal for the price. I sold the nikon camera bag and 18-55 kit lens and kept the 70-300 lens. It was a good deal.

I recently purchased the D7000 kit from BestBuy for under $1,300 + Tax. Try negotiating

The d90 is about $600 cheaper then the D7000!

A good price for a D7000 is $1300, a good price for a d90 is $700.

The D7000 is a significantly better camera then the d90. It's built better (metal instead of plastic), it has a better sensor, it does 1080p video instead of 720, and it's compatible with more lenses.

The 18-200 VR II is a nice lens for that D90.

Most reactions

Back