Nikkor 18-55 -> 18-70?

Tiberius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been quite pleased with the performance on my 18-55DX on my D50. However, as I've found that I've used Manual Focus more and more recently, I've seriously debated moving to a true AF-S lens for the instant manual override. I tried a friend's 18-70mm and was quite pleased with the rapid focus, larger aperture at the tight end and M/A mode. The extra reach didn't hurt either. My question is this: Would it be worth it to pick up a used 18-70 and sell my 18-55, or should I just start saving up towards an 18-200VR? Most reviews of the two I read would indicate that 18-55 to 18-70 is largely a sideways step - their performance is supposed to be quite similar. Is it worth the switch?

I wouldn't if I already had the 18-55...and I do.

The 80-200 2.8 can be had for much less as well. I've never used a VR so I'm no expert...but I doubt it can do any better than me with a non VR and a monopod.

Besides that, with a 2.8 being as well balanced as it is I've hand held it down to 1/60 before and still get a decent shot...and 1/30 or even 1/15 isn't hard to do at all with a little practice on a monopod.

My $0.02. YMMV.

LWW

Most reactions

Back