Nikkor 18-55mm VR vs 18-70mm, Which one should let in more light?

gryffinwings

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I was trying 2 different lens I have, the 18-55mm and the 18-70mm on my D200 and I noticed that the 18-70mm lens actually lets in more light because I was seeing an increase in shutter speed when I used the 18-70mm.

Camera Body: D200
ISO: 200
Aperture: f/3.5
Focal Length: 18mm

18-55mm
1/1250th of a second

18-70mm
1/2000th of a second

Is this normal for these lens?

It could be that the 18-70 front glass is larger than the 18-55 letting in more light even if they are both F/3.5. That would be my guess.

Depending on your shooting scenario, a 2/3 stop difference could easily be a thin cloud passing overhead. I'm afraid without photographic respresentation of the exact same lighting conditons and shooting settings and mode, your numbers are moot at their best.

Depending on your shooting scenario, a 2/3 stop difference could easily be a thin cloud passing overhead. I'm afraid without photographic respresentation of the exact same lighting conditons and shooting settings and mode, your numbers are moot at their best.

Photographic evidence is not needed in this case because I'm wondering if this is at all possible between these two lens and to see if anybody has seen this happen.

Most reactions

Back