Nikkor 18-55VR, 18-70 or 18-135???

emmaf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I know, I know - so I went back with my D40 to compare look at the difference between the 18-55 and 18-170, and the guy in the store suggested the 18-135! Of course - he didn't have either of the other options, so am not sure if he was just trying to sell what he had, or this is a good alternative. Think I will end up getting one online anyway since they are cheaper, but I have been looking at customer ratings - both seem to have good and bad points.
I really am new at this, but also want something that will carry me through until I improve enough to notice the differences everyone speaks of! At the end of the day I have to get a new lens - and cannot pay out for the 18-200 that was suggested by some of you. So - if I can only get one of these 3, what to do?? I need to order asap as my daughters birthday is next week, and I need a working camera by then....Thanking you all in advance:)

18-70 without a doubt.

The 18-70mm is a terrific lens. I haven't shot the 18-135mm and what little experience with the 18-55mm I have was ok but It's not better than the 18-70 and the 18-70 has more reach.

18-70 has a better build quality to it then the 18-55, and yes you can get alittle closer to the subject. Its a great lense at an affordable price.

Normally I'd agree but seeing how the 16-85 VR was just released ?announced?, I can not recommend the 18-70mm (which I own too) at this time.

Can you rent one for the day? Then make your decision at your leisure.

btw, I don't recall ever having heard someone say that they are in love with the 18-135mm.

From my reading around the 18-135 is the sharpest zoom lens ever produced by nikon. But it also has chronic distortion compared with any other zoom lens. I don't know how true this is since I don't have it. But than again the distortion is fixable by software so I heard.

Can you rent one for the day? Then make your decision at your leisure.

btw, I don't recall ever having heard someone say that they are in love with the 18-135mm.

I heard that.

It's an ok lens. Nothing special. I'm looking to get a faster maybe VR walk around lens.

From my reading around the 18-135 is the sharpest zoom lens ever produced by nikon. But it also has chronic distortion compared with any other zoom lens. I don't know how true this is since I don't have it. But than again the distortion is fixable by software so I heard.

Sharpest at which aperture and focal length? I'm sure I've seen sharper Nikon zooms, but I do agree that overall and especially given the price both the 18-135 and the 18-70 are fantastically sharp.

These nikkor gang of four can be confusing to choose when money is in the consideration, and soon will be the gang of five once the 16-85 widely known. If money is not the problem, of these four the 18-200 is the best buy. Simply because more reach and the VR feature.

Anyway. Here is the comparison of those four lenses to have direct comparison.

Have fun.
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon_Lens_comparison_intro.shtml

These nikkor gang of four can be confusing to choose when money is in the consideration, and soon will be the gang of five once the 16-85 widely known. If money is not the problem, of these four the 18-200 is the best buy. Simply because more reach and the VR feature.

Anyway. Here is the comparison of those four lenses to have direct comparison.

Have fun.
http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Nikon_Lens_comparison_intro.shtml

I appreciate the link. The comparisons were very enlightening. The 18-200 is certainly the way to go (unless, of course, your subject matter is checkerboards).

From my reading around the 18-135 is the sharpest zoom lens ever produced by nikon.
Yeah right, there's no way that a $300 superzoom is sharper than something such as the band new 24-70 f/2.8, impossible.

Most reactions

Back