Nikkor 200-500e

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Brand new. Just came in the mail this week. Big box with the lens in the box, probably 12" of free space on both sides, just free sliding in the box, all the way to my house (MI) from California. Ordered through Best Buy. Going back, this thing is not sharp at all. I busted out the Star Chart and it's decentered which isn't surprising based on how it was packed. I was thinking of getting back into birding a little but having second thoughts.

That's a bummer! Sounds like rhey really dropped the ball on the packing it's a great lens. Try another copy from a real camera store.

That's a bummer! Sounds like rhey really dropped the ball on the packing it's a great lens. Try another copy from a real camera store.

I know. I wish I never sold my 100-400 fuji. I'm gonna try my 300 4.5 ai lens on the fuji as well as the 300 mamiya 300

My 200-500e is tack sharp, and I couldn't be happier. If you're in the Detroit area (and things eventually open back up) you could try Woodward Camera in Birmingham (where I bought mine), or PhotoPro in Livonia. Both will price match B&H, and you can try out on the spot.

If you want to go mail order, then B&H or Adorama are the places to order. I bought lenses from both, and they were packed tighter than Dick's hat band.

As to Best Buy, I like them for batteries, memory cards, and TV's, but that's about all.

You're probably at least second person to return this one...

Too bad about it being decentered....

My 200-500e is tack sharp, and I couldn't be happier. If you're in the Detroit area (and things eventually open back up) you could try Woodward Camera in Birmingham (where I bought mine), or PhotoPro in Livonia. Both will price match B&H, and you can try out on the spot.

If you want to go mail order, then B&H or Adorama are the places to order. I bought lenses from both, and they were packed tighter than Dick's hat band.

As to Best Buy, I like them for batteries, memory cards, and TV's, but that's about all.

I have been to all those places in my travels. This is the first and last time I order camera gear from BB. The packaging was lazy and neglectful, almost seemed intentional. The lens box had no seal but the contents didn't appear to be opened.

The AF-S 200-500mm f5.6vr is china produced and very aggressively priced and monday models are known to be frequent.

Most reactions

Back