Nikkor 35mm F/1.8 vs. 50mm F/1.4

EJKelehan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ejkelehan.daportfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As a relatively new shooter, having my Nikon D40 and kit 18-55mm zoom for around a year, i find it is time to upgrade lenses, and i am down to two choices, the Nikkor 35mm and the 50mm, the 35mm will save me around $245 dollars, and being 15 years old, that is a fair bit of money, both lenses fit my needs, for something with a rather wide aperture, and decent capabilities for both landscape, architecture, and portraits. Does any one know of any reasons why i should spend the extra $245 for the 50mm, such as optical quality that would be so much greater, or things of that nature...

With the D40 and 35mm lens you're going to need that camera really close to the subject for portraits.

If you don't mind manual focus, the 50mm f/1.8D would work for your needs since nothing you mentioned involves the need for fast focusing.

I guess I assumed (bad thing) he was talking about the G versions of those lenses which are both AF-S.

Yes, i was talking about the AF-S versions, but i looked at a refurbished 50mm F/1.8D on Adorama for $100, so for that price, i'm fine with manual focus...

If your focus is portraits, you'll want the 50mm f/1.4G. Don't do the 50 f/1.8 because if you're manually focusing, you'll have a real tough time getting that perfect focus on the eyes at f/1.8 with the tunnel of a viewfinder the D40 has. the 1.4G is also sharper wide open, and much sharper at f/1.8ish.

If you want something more flexible that can do waist up portrait or just general low-light, than the 35mm f/1.8 for sure. Again, it's a pretty darn good lens.

Yeah, I'd really like the 50 F/1.4, but unfortunately i can't really justify the extra $345 over the 50 F/1.8, so, i think the F/1.8 is gonna be my pick, and maybe I'll be able to sell it and upgrade to the 50 F/1.4 after next summer at work, but right now, it looks like the 50 F/1.8 will be my best value, thanks to everyone for their knowledge/experiences, and sharing them with me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back