Nikkor 50mm (1.4G or 1.4D)

thephotoroom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I hate these questions but I have to ask.

Is the extra $150 for the newer lens worth the extra coin?

Looking for a solid portait/low light lens that I can count on for a quick shot that needs to be sharp.

OR, is there another lens you could recommend? Looking to spend under $500 and shooting on a D7000. Fast is the most important, Quality is next.

Thanks,

-Alex

what about a 35mm 1.8? would be around the same length as a 50mm on full frame. a 50mm turns into like a 75mm and its kind of an awkward length to shoot with

thephotoroom said:

Looking for a solid portait/low light lens that I can count on for a quick shot that needs to be sharp.

OR, is there another lens you could recommend? Looking to spend under $500 and shooting on a D7000. Fast is the most important, Quality is next.

Thanks,

-Alex

I may be wrong but I don't think there is a difference between the 1.4g and the 1.4d - besides the fact that ones af-s

For a walk around the 35 is nice but If you need flexibility, I'd consider the tamron 17-50 2.8.

thephotoroom said:

Thanks,

-Alex

I may be wrong but I don't think there is a difference between the 1.4g and the 1.4d - besides the fact that ones af-s
The 50mm 1.4G is definitely an improvement over the 1.4D, BUT the question is, do you really need that improvement? I've got my 1.4D which I've had for years and works just fine for me; I've never had any complaints and see no reason to upgrade.

tirediron said:
The 50mm 1.4G is definitely an improvement over the 1.4D, BUT the question is, do you really need that improvement? I've got my 1.4D which I've had for years and works just fine for me; I've never had any complaints and see no reason to upgrade.

:) Thanks for the correction!

I have the 50mm 1.4G and love it. It pairs beautifully with my d700. I never have used the D version of the lens and actually never planned on upgraded, but found the G version for 350$ used at my local camera store. Never used the D version but if it's like the G, which I imagine it is, it will be an excellent purchase!

How deep are your pockets? I have the 50mm 1.8, I would love the 1.4 but the 1.8 does me just fine.

Depends on what your need are!

MReid said:
Look at the 50 1.8G. Less money really nice performance, hard to find.

I need to get off my arse. My local store has itfor $220( as advertised on their site.)

If you are debating between the two...I would forget about those two and get the 50mm 1.8G newer technology and reviews show its better than the 1.4g. I have it and love it!

Food for thought as we move into the future..I am good friends with a nikon dealer locally and was told that the future nikon cameras were going to stop including in motors for the older lenses. the D600 is supposed to be the start of that process. So you might want to think about having lenses that have internal focus motors.

vipgraphx said:
If you are debating between the two...I would forget about those two and get the 50mm 1.8G newer technology and reviews show its better than the 1.4g. I have it and love it!

Food for thought as we move into the future..I am good friends with a nikon dealer locally and was told that the future nikon cameras were going to stop including in motors for the older lenses. the D600 is supposed to be the start of that process. So you might want to think about having lenses that have internal focus motors.

That stinks. Lol
I bet many of the current bodies will be purchased up as back ups lol.

Last edited:
what about a 35mm 1.8? would be around the same length as a 50mm on full frame. a 50mm turns into like a 75mm and its kind of an awkward length to shoot with

50mm is pretty awesome for portraits.

all awesome suggestions. I'm looking to spend under $500, My needs is FAST. I was expecting to use this to shoot bands with stage lighting, portraits, and as a quick 'grab that shot' lens.

I really want the 2.8 17-something-mm sigma/tamron but thought the prime to be better suited for what my expected needs would be.

If a better lens suited for my needs is available for over $500 it wouldn't break me. Passion takes precedence over reasonability.

thephotoroom said:
all awesome suggestions. I'm looking to spend under $500, My needs is FAST. I was expecting to use this to shoot bands with stage lighting, portraits, and as a quick 'grab that shot' lens.

I really want the 2.8 17-something-mm sigma/tamron but thought the prime to be better suited for what my expected needs would be.

If a better lens suited for my needs is available for over $500 it wouldn't break me. Passion takes precedence over reasonability.

50mm 1.4 bh 1 day 539

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back