nikkor 50mm 1.8 issue? help please

laffles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.theability.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
just got this lens in the post, using a D7000, I'm an uber noob, the aperture ring will only lock down @ 22 for some reason (in manual), nothing else, it gives an error when i try to shoot with it not locked down in manual.

half of my test shots are just ultra dark even with iso @ 2500+, unless I shoot in auto, wtf is going on here :( is the lens faulty?

The aperture is controlled by the body, not the lens. In order for the bodys CPU to properly register and control the aperture, Lock the aperture to f/22, then if you want to shoot at f/8 or f/5.6 of f/1.8.... control it with the BODY, not the lens. If you are shooting in "A" mode, the aperture control will default to the front command wheel, by your right index finger. Turn it clockwise and the aperture gets smaller, counter clockwise to get bigger.

Other modes, the aperture control function can be set as a custom function to either wheel or other button.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the post, But I'm shooting in manual - the aperture ring on the lens is one of the reasons I bought the lens - So i can learn to get better in manual.

give me a second I'll post some pics with exif data do give you an idea of my problem

Last edited:
You can still control the aperture and shutter speed manually. But after you lock the aperture to f/22 on the lens, you can control them with the camera dial buttons.

Thanks for the post, But I'm shooting in manual - the aperture ring on the lens is one of the reasons I bought the lens - So i can learn to get better in manual.

give me a second I'll post some pics with exif data do give you an idea of my problem

In manual on the D7000, the aperture is still controlled by the front command wheel, and the shutter speed by the rear. The body needs the lens to be locked into the f/22 position in order to properly read data from it.

Besides, with the aperture ring locked at f/22, and the body controlling the aperture with the front commmand wheel, you have much greater control over things. The body can adjust the aperture in 1/3 stop incriments, where the ring on the lens can only go 1 stop at a time. You are still shooting in manual. Guaranteed.

Last edited:
Ok thanks strawdaw and Dao.. Here's a comparison from aperture priority and manual :S - i really hope I'm missing something and being a total noob, I've attached the Exif data too. (why is this happening?)

wtf4z.jpg

wtf2h.jpg

wtf1a.jpg

wtf2f.jpg

Last edited:
Not completely :(

why are my photos when I shoot in manual turning out completely dark like above?

Were you able to adjust the aperture setting on the camera?

Both the EXIF data seem to be for the same picture. Even the date time is the same. Could you recheck and share the correct EXIF for the pic?

yup, exposure was @ like 8000, wow, i feel like such an imbecile.. it's perfectly fine now.

In summary, read manuals and don't be a retard like me. thanks for the help guys, It's much appreciated

@sanpan, because I took the photos it roughly the same time :) they are different though

Not to be picky (I'm glad you figured it out), but what I think sanpan is referring to is that the time on both pics (of the EXIF data) is 12:15:12. Did you take both pics at the exact same second (12)? It looks like you posted the same pic twice.

Exactly jands. That's exactly what I meant. Thanks.

In summary, read manuals and don't be a retard like me. thanks for the help guys, It's much appreciated

And with that being said.... Welcome to the forum.

Post up some work!

p!nK

In summary, read manuals

Single most important lesson you could learn. Glad it happened early. If something isn't making sense about your hardware, chances are it is addressed in th manual.

Also, don't feel stupid. If this is the "dumbest" question you ask on the photo forum, you will be head and shoulders ahead of the masses, myself included.

:lol:

Most reactions

Back