Nikkor 50mm 1.8D Troubleshooting

liemthan228

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm using my 50mm 1.8D lens on a D200 body. I purchased the lens about 2 months ago and just recently the autofocus has stopped working on the lens. I tried other lenses on the body and the autofocus works just fine. When the 50mm is on and I press the shutter halfway, I hear the AF motor spin but the lens does not adjust/get into focus. Any suggestions?

buy a new one. return it if it is still under warantee. two months old is still new, but doesn't mean you didn't get a dud lens. if possible, try the lens on other body's and see if it will AF on them even though other lenses will AF on the D200. try it in different lighting situations as well. sometimes if there is a lot of light or white, the camera cant figure out what to focus on so it just keeps focusing. point it at a bunch of different stuff and try. if all else fails, return it and get a new one.

. Removed my suggestions as you said other lenses work fine with it. Except check that the lens is locked at the f22 position. As mine for whatever reason wasn't locked at f22 and thought something was wrong with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick replies everyone. Yes I did check the aperture ring and it is set at f22 as always. I will try to test it on a different body but if not it looks like I will have to return it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back