Martin_Garcia

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
Looking at prices for a new lens I found that a AF-S Nikkor 50mm F/1.4G (autofocus) cost around 450 dollars but the Nikkor 50mm F/1.4 Manual focus
is about half !.

Is there more important differences other than the autofocus?

Regards,

I have the 1.4D. I compared the G and the D at the time back to back. I was lucky enough to have a shop allow me to try both on my camera prior to purchase. My understanding is the D is pretty much the same as the manual focus.

I tested the G and the D back to back. They had an HDMI cable hooked up to a 42in LCD at the shop. It was nice to take shots and compare the two.

My take was the G wasn't quite as sharp and had a little warmer color to it. The coating on the lens made things look a little warmer than I really wanted.

I went with the D lens and I am really happy with it. Auto or manual is your choice. Mine rarely leaves my camera now. You'll love either one.

Just my $0.02

The AF-D and AF-S versions are nearly identical, optically speaking. The AF-S version has a 9-bladed aperture vs. the 7-bladed one in the AF-D. Makes for better out-of-focus rendering.

To be honest, unless your camera requires AF-S lenses for autofocus (D40/D60/D3000/D5000) I'd stick with the AF-D. I have one and it's an excellent lens.

Thanks for the help guys.

The AF-D and AF-S versions are nearly identical, optically speaking. The AF-S version has a 9-bladed aperture vs. the 7-bladed one in the AF-D. Makes for better out-of-focus rendering.

To be honest, unless your camera requires AF-S lenses for autofocus (D40/D60/D3000/D5000) I'd stick with the AF-D. I have one and it's an excellent lens.

Hmmm ... actually I have a D3000 but I thought it was not MANDATORY to get an AF-S lens, were I wrong ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back