Nikkor 55-200mm AF-S With VR or Without VR?

Mitch D60

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am new to photography and I need a cheap zoom lens. I know what VR does, but is it worth it to shell out an extra $80 for the vr version.

I am new to photography and I need a cheap zoom lens. I know what VR does, but is it worth it to shell out an extra $80 for the vr version.

What's your use? If shooting wildlife outdoors with nice bright light then the non VR is going to suffice. Plus both versions of this lens are very sharp and great for the money. The VR version is slightly sharper, but the non-VR is still very sharp and produces excellent images.

However, for only an extra 80 bucks, I'd probably front for the VR (80 bucks is seriously like pocket change in the world of photography and DSLR's/Lenses). I'd only look at the non-vr if you can find a good used copy for cheap (say 100 bucks or so).

Thanks,

I shoot wildlife, but like you said 80 bucks is nothing so I think I'll go for the VR.

i have the 55-200 non VR, and i wish it was the one with VR...
you can really tell that IQ goes bad...especially up at the 200 mark.

pop for the VR...you'll likely be glad you did.

It's 80 bucks, just get the VR version.

i have the 55-200 non VR, and i wish it was the one with VR...
you can really tell that IQ goes bad...especially up at the 200 mark.

pop for the VR...you'll likely be glad you did.

That's interesting because the resolution figures for both lenses at 200mm are almost identical. My non VR 55-200 was still very sharp at 200mm wide open.

Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G ED DX - Review / Test Report

Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED DX VR - Review / Test Report

weird...i never even bother going to 200 anymore because im never happy with the image quality...gets a bit fuzzy for me.

Or save up and get the 70-200 VR, which is pretty sharp at 200.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back