Nikkor 70-300mm, AF-S vs AF-P?

kristiinae

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, it's me again! I need an inexpensive zoom lens and I have my eye on two lenses: Nikkor AF-S 70-300mm and AF-P 70-300mm. Both have their pluses and minuses which makes it difficult to decide between these two. I have Nikon D5500 and I'd like to photograph animals mostly (outdoors).

Nikon AF-S 70-300mm:
f/4.5-5.6
745g
VRII
350€ used
Nikon 70-300mm VR

Nikon AF-P 70-300mm:
f/4.5-6.3
415g
VR
350€ new
Nikon 70-300mm VR DX AF-P Review

"Choose the 55-300 VR DX for nature, landscapes and portraits because of its broader zoom range, and this AF-P 70-300mm for sports, wildlife and action because of its faster autofocus. Only get the 70-300 VR (FX) for use on an FX or 35mm camera, otherwise you're paying more for a bigger lens that goes to waste on the smaller DX format." - that's what Ken Rockwell has written in his blog.

I'm completely torn between these two, the AF-P one is very new so there aren't many reviews on this one. I'm very thankful if you could help me with your opinions!

First things first, Ken Rockwell is well..Ken Rockwell. Take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Do you plan on going full frame soon? If so, get the 70-300 VR.

If not, the new 70-300 AF-P is a really good inexpensive telephoto with really snappy auto focus for DX cameras. From what I can tell, the new AF-P 70-300 is sharper than the FX 70-300. Yeah, you lose a little bit of light at the long end but not that much and D5500 has excellent low light ISO performance anyways.

First things first, Ken Rockwell is well..Ken Rockwell. Take everything he says with a grain of salt.

What does that mean exactly? I was under the impression Ken was a respected and reliable source.

What does that mean exactly? I was under the impression Ken was a respected and reliable source.
His statistics and numbers are accurate.

But I think a lot of people don't like his conclusions and he gets a lot of his info from other websites without actually touching some equipment.
There's a lot of threads about him ==> Search Results for Query: ken rockwell | Photography Forum

Maybe for the technical details he lists, but his opinions and thoughts are mostly satire.

I wont lie, Ken has a large database of technical details about lenses and camera bodies. It is a great resource FOR THAT.

But like I said when it comes to his commentary, its mostly satire. Even Ken himself said so haha. Listen, I don't think Ken is an idiot or a bad guy, its just so many people take him so serious when Ken himself is not serious at all. That's why I always say to take his opinions with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I'm completely torn between these two, the AF-P one is very new so there aren't many reviews on this one. I'm very thankful if you could help me with your opinions!
Consult your user's manual to make sure the AF-P lens will be compatible with your camera. I'm pretty sure the AF-S lens will auto-focus on the D5500, but verify that with the table in your manual.

In the US used AF-Ps are selling for $100 USD and under.

But in your area they seem to be the same price of AF-S vs AF-P.
I'd actually opt for the AF-P lens with your DX camera. I had issues with the AF-S version affecting the AutoFocus in relation to contrast detection. For sports that could be key as it was with me.

According to B&H the AF-P is compatible with the D5200 and later with the OS upgraded.

Also AF-S are compatible with the D5x00 series too.

Only AF-D/AF require an inbody focus motor which are found in the d7x00 series and higher.

Maybe for the technical details he lists, but his opinions and thoughts are mostly satire.

I wont lie, Ken has a large database of technical details about lenses and camera bodies. It is a great resource FOR THAT.

But like I said when it comes to his commentary, its mostly satire. Even Ken him said so haha. Listen, I don't think Ken is an idiot or a bad guy, its just so many people take him so serious when Ken himself is not serious at all. That's why I always say to take his opinions with a grain of salt.

Somehow I totally didn't know that lol

Nikon authority Thom Hogan reviewed the 70-300 VR AF-P lens with the D3400; according to his review, the new lens is a MUCH better pwerformer than the older (10+-years old now) 70-300 VR lens: better optics, MUCH better focusing; on the lowly D3400, he found the 70-300 AF-P VR lens to focus as fast as the expensive, "hight end" Nikkor lenses. HE RECOMMENDS the 70-300 VR AF-P lens over the 70-300 VR!!! YES, surprise,surprise: apparently, the new 70-300 AF-P VR lens focuses FAST, anbd reliably, and is also better optically... Hogan recommends the AF-P VR lens over the older AF-S version of 70-300 lens.

One of those things where new, low-end gear is actually notably BETTER than older, mid-point gear. Such is the march of progreess and innovation from Nikon.

The 70-300 AF-P VR lens is the one he reviewed: NOT the non-VR version of the lens!!! And be aware: only the very newest Nikon bodies can utilize the AF-P focusing protocol!! The D5500 is one of the very-newest cameras, and the AF-P system is fine for it. I would not worry about the slight, 1/3 f/stop less light this lens gathers at 300 versus the 70-300 AF-S VR; the 70-300 AF-S VR has now been superseded by a better, less-costly, newer lens design!

Do to the fact that you have a D5500 and can utilize the AF-P, I'd go for the AF-P as I think it is a better lens for crop frame than the AF-S model.

Also, there's TWO versions of the 70-300 AF-P lens.
A "VR" and a "non-VR"

I was looking at them because last time I used my 150-600 for a soccer game on my D500 DX camera I was always at 150-300 and needed something from the 70-150. Thus the 70-300 would fit perfectly in a sense, though not a professional lens.

Albeit used 70-300 AF-P non-VR's are running in the $120 USD and less !!
This lens might give me a short term solution to my focal length issues with a DX body. And since I really need a 80-400 on FX, the 70-300 non-VR might be a cheap alternative altogether and just stick with the DX body for these scenarios.

And as mentioned above, this is all "all electronic" lens, so it has limited compatibility. Essentially the D3400+, D5500+ and D500 cameras.

The latest AF-P FX version is definitely better than the previous versions.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back