Nikkor Lenses - Country of Origin

LizardKing

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there!

Quick question to all of you who have more experience than me buying Nikon lenses. Is it really a big deal to buy a lens that's not Made in USA?

Just in case it matters, I'm buying a 50mm f/1.4G and a 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G

edit: By the way, I've been told that all Nikon D7000 are manufactured in Thailand... is that so? does anyone know?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
LizardKing

Last edited:
I don't think any Nikon lenses are made in the USA ;)

Any Nikon lens of any one type is typically always made in the same factory and then shipped out to all the various national distribution centres; so what differs between a USA lens and one from say Hong Kong is the warranty you get. Far as I can recall Nikon regionally limits its warranties so a grey imported lens from Hong Kong will have a valid warranty, for Hong Kong, which means any warranty repairs will require the lens to be shipped back there.

Now some grey importers offer their own warranties for in-country repairs or will offer support in shipping lenses back and forth.

Pro lenses are made in Japan. Consumer lenses are made in Hong Kong, Thailand, and Malaysia (I think they may have a couple other factories in SE asia somewhere too).

I just looked and the 50mm 1.4G (at least my copy) is made in Hong Kong, more than likely in the same factory that produced the 50mm 1.8D.

Yes, the D7K was/is made in Thailand. Well until the factory was under 6 feet of water anyways

Thank you guys!

The reason why I was asking is this: nikon 50mm f/1.4GThere, you have the 50mm f/1.4G USA or Imported. So I thought it was where the lens was actually manufactured.

I'm from Argentina, so it doesn't really matter to me if the warranty is from Hong Kong or the US :)

Thanks again!

Regards,
LizardKing

Thank you guys!

The reason why I was asking is this: nikon 50mm f/1.4GThere, you have the 50mm f/1.4G USA or Imported. So I thought it was where the lens was actually manufactured.

I'm from Argentina, so it doesn't really matter to me if the warranty is from Hong Kong or the US :)

Thanks again!

Regards,
LizardKing

Unless there are no repair centers in Argentina, that's where you want your warranty to be. True, US or Hong Kong would be about the same for you, but not quite the same as a warranty where you live. Think of the time you will be without the gear if it ever needs fixing and is it worth the price difference.

Warranty varies. The lenses made for the US market are warrantied differently than other countries, we can get grey market lenses here but their only have a 1 year or less warranty while the USA lenses are a 5 year warranty.

Unless there are no repair centers in Argentina, that's where you want your warranty to be. True, US or Hong Kong would be about the same for you, but not quite the same as a warranty where you live. Think of the time you will be without the gear if it ever needs fixing and is it worth the price difference.

Yes, I know. I'd prefer to buy them in Argentina. But, for instance, the D7000 that's about 1100U$s in the US, in Argentina is over 2000U$s... So I rather wait for the gear to be shipped and repaired, or I could even buy a brand new camera :)

Thank you all!

Most reactions

Back