NiKKor vs Sigma Lenses

I bought a Nikon body for the option of buying Nikon lenses. Just because you buy a Nikon body doesn't necessarily mean you should always buy their lenses, especially when brands like Tamron and Sigma can make some very good glass (I should know, I have one whole Sigma lens!!!1!).

Of course if I was a professional who could afford a D3, I would invest in the best Nikon glass. But most of the time people are using fairly cheap D40's and D80's, if money wasn't an issue then you would likely see them using a D300. So when your buying lenses that aren't amazing, professional quality lenses, I don't see why you can't expand your options and look at other brands that, in some cases, can equal or almost equal the quality and performance of a Nikon brand lens for a usually cheaper price.

I hope I made sense.. And BTW the mean smiley guy in the title is a joke, lol

Your logic makes a lot of sense but my thinking is a bit different. I just feel more comfortable with Nikon glass. Less thinking on my part.

Don't get me wrong. I'm also concerned about cash. I continued to use my film SLR for four years while also using a $250 P&S digital because I was financially hurting a bit.

Nothing really. I was being sarcastic and mocking of a previous comment. :)

Anyways, here's a "low quality" shot from my Nikkor 18-135 from a recent trip.

Your images are making me a bit homesick... I was raised on the islands... where were you exactly? Also, do you have a gallery of those shots?

Go with the 18-135mm Nikkor. It is easy to get caught up in all the marketing. Get what you can afford and make good art. Remember art is what we are after.

Your images are making me a bit homesick... I was raised on the islands... where were you exactly? Also, do you have a gallery of those shots?
Thanks! :) Those were from Taiwan this past February, and I'm still working on sorting and processing. Hopefully by the end of the month I'll have a full gallery up. It's a huge project sorting 2900 photos down to the 100 or so best keepers. :confused: And then after that I need to completely re-org my gallery. It's a mess. :blushing:

Thank you for your answer, it was exactly what I wanted to hear and what I have ultimately done. After much much much reading, asking and investigating, I finally found the winner. CLICK TO SEE MY NEW CAMERA
Thanks everyone for their input.

man rui

Nice! You'll be able to get tons of great photos with that combo. :thumbup:

Good choice. Great range and decent quality for a reasonable price.

I don't trust Sigma; sometimes they make good lenses, sometimes they make junk. And it's hard to find reliable reviews of sigmas.

Thank you for your answer, it was exactly what I wanted to hear and what I have ultimately done. After much much much reading, asking and investigating, I finally found the winner. CLICK TO SEE MY NEW CAMERA
Thanks everyone for their input.

man rui

Nice! I wish I'd had a few more dollars to put into lenses when I bought my D80 a couple of weeks ago. I had to settle for the 18-55mm to get me started. I'm currently researching more lenses, and plotting to win the lottery to pay for them.

I have no experience with the other lenses, but I don't agree with the fact the the 18-135 is low quality...it might not be fast, but it is certainly not low quality. I have this lens and it has always given me good performance, so of the three I would suggest this one, considering you get the wide angle and decent range that you would want for a walk around lens.

Nice! I wish I'd had a few more dollars to put into lenses when I bought my D80 a couple of weeks ago. I had to settle for the 18-55mm to get me started. I'm currently researching more lenses, and plotting to win the lottery to pay for them.
The 18-55 is still a great little lens. I took tons of great photos with mine and started out with an 18-55 too, so don't let it or anyone else discourage you. I sold both of mine, but will probably end up getting the new VR version used once they're available fairly cheaply for when I want to go light.

I'd go with the 18-200mm VR... if you get any of the above lenses your going to want the 18-200mm sometime down the line for a walk around lens
not here. In fact I specifically avoided the 18-200VR in favor of the 18-135 because in a lot of ways it's nicer, while also only being 1/3rd the street price.

a) 18-200 was an option, but here is why I did not go with it.

b) If I get really good and if I am still interested in photography down the road, I will sell the 18-135 and buy something more professional.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back