Nikkormat EL with 50mm

30 dollars? sounds inexpensive but depends on condition.

Yea, good price for good working camera. If you don't know. The film advance lever activates the meter and allows the shutter to work. You open the lever from flush with the body (stowed position). This turns on the meter and arms the shutter button. Battery is inside the camera, need to raise mirror to change it. There is a battery test button and indicator on the back to the left of the eyepiece.

AS PER ABOVE^^^ Bought an old girlfriend a "non-working" EL at a garage sale in 1985...the seller had NO IDEA that the battery was inside the mirror box! LOL! HAH! She loved that EL. It was a neat camera. I think $30 for one, even just to look at, would be worth the price!

I have a black EL. They're wonderful, well built cameras with accurate electronic shutters. And, one of the few Nikon SLR models that can shoot in AE mode with both AI and non-AI lenses.

They can develop a jumpy meter needle that can lead first to inaccurate readings and end in no readings. Just make sure the needle moves smoothly with the aperture ring. If not, I'd pass. The teardown and repair (provided you have someone to do it) would cost way more than the camera--sadly.

Bought a pretty black EL with a 50/1.8Ai for a bit more than $30 late last century--my gateway Nikon. Rock-solid, heavy-metal build quality.

On meter needles....try running the lens f/stop ring from Max to min like 50 times, do the same thing with shutter speed dial, move it thru entire range 20,30,40 times, might help remove any slight oxidization. "So they say", on this procedure...

Most reactions

Back