Nikon 105 macro

wow, these lenses are unbelievable. Thanks for all the help. To me it just seems like which focal length would i rather have. But its not that much of a difference.

Let me add to the confusion... lol

Sigma makes a 105mm F/2.8 macro and after testing out both this 105 and the Nikkor, I really really really saw no difference in macro or portrait shot sharpness, or even focus speed. IQ with both was incredible. The Sigma pictures came out looking ever so slightly warmer, though... but even if you don't like it (which I do, makes portraits look nicer SOOC), it is adjustable in post process.

I ended up with the Sigma 105mm and kept an extra $400US in my pocket.

Note: This is NOT a HSM lens, so if your camera has no focus motor, it makes this lens a manual focus only... AND... thats 105mm on a FULL FRAME sensor, but it worked incredibly well on my D200.

hmm thanks jerry! now i am even more confused. But you may have saved my parents 300 bucks lol.

Does anyone else have anything to say about the 105 siggy?

I own the 105 VR and love it. A buddy of mine bought the sigma 105 when the nikon was sold out. We tested them in the studio during a portrait session and we found no difference under those conditions.

He then returned the sigma and got the nikon when it came in. You will be happy with both I am sure.

I wouldn't want to sway you one way or the other Ejazzle, but I bought into the Nikon system for Nikkor optics. To date I have stayed true to form. That is not meant to say that third party lenses aren't as good, but I am very comfortable to know that the fuill line-up of my lenses are all Nikkor.

Just my 2¢.

Sigma make a range of very good macro lenses - their 70mm and 105mm are good choices - whilst their 150mm and 180mm are made to a higher standard (HSM motors, inner focusing, teleconverter compatabilty and EX build quality - sigma's best).

They are certainly on par with the offering from canon and nikon. Myself the nikon 105mm macro might be the better option over the sigma 105mm since the nikon has the VR - this has almost no impact on macro image quality, but for any other use its certainly going to help you. If your just doing macro work then its not going to affect you much.
Also macro work is doen almost exclusivly in manual focusing mode so the lack of auto focusing - for macro work - is not a limitation

Most reactions

New Topics

Back