Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro vs Nikon 80-200mm F.2.8D

fsquare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After selling some lenses I am in the market for a new lens. My favorite type of photography is candids, cityscape, urban fragments etc etc. Right now i own an 18-50mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 35mm 1.8 and just recently sold my 55-200mm VR.

I love the macro aspect of the 105mm and it's sharpness and i know it makes a great portrait lens. The 80-200 is much more versatile as well as sharp but heavier and no VR.

Just wanted some opinions...so stuck on what to pick up.

It's hard to give a suggestion that will suit every individual shooter; the sheer size and weight of the 80-200/2.8 is simply more than some people are comfortable with. The lens's profile is also high; it draws a LOT of attention. The smaller 105, not so much. Not sure what camera body you have either--I am assuming you have a body that will autofocus an AF-D design lens.

No problem with auto focusing with an AF-D...using a D300s

The 105VR will smoke the 80-200D. The Sigma 150mm f/2.8 could be a good compromise between the two.

The 105mm macro lens is a pretty damn specialized lens. Yes it can be used for portrait, but the depth of field is too shallow even for my taste ( I have a F1.2 50mm). I'd say rent both to give them a try and then decide. To me these are apple and orange, so there is no comparison. It depends on what area of photography you want to expand on.

I've tried the 105 Macro and I'd say that if I own the lens and I am not investing time to brush up my macro photography techniques, I don't deserve to own it. It's a commitment.

I think I will forget about the 80-200mm. I have already rented the 105mm and loved it. Never got a chance to play around with the 80-200mm until today and damn, way too big for what I want. Most of what I capture is just by walking around and also doing it handheld. Sometimes I am walking around for hours with a camera bag strapped to my back. Not only that but it would seem to attract A LOT of attention.

Candids, urban decay, cityscapes with the occasional landscape shot since I live out in the boonies where there is some great scenery but work in a very urban area. My Sigma 18-50mm has really come in useful as well as my 50 1.8 in low light (family pics, dog, daughter) but I just want something with more reach but that can do double duty.

I've never really been into macro but since I have a 1 year old little girl i'm sure i'll be heading out to the botanical gardens, zoos etc etc very soon. The Sigma 150mm Macro might be a little too much on a crop sensor which is why i'm debating the 105mm. Still, i've seen some portraits and macros from that Sigma 150 and damn...gorgeous.

You might not have considered it, but fsquare, your D300 will mount, meter, and shoot the older Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 in either Ai or AiS mount variations. I've owned the 105/2.5 AiS model since it came out in the early 1980's, and it is truly one of the real gems among the older manual focus Nikkor lenses. The "one-oh-five two-five" as most of us call it, is an absolute dream as far as manually focusing; along with a 300/2.8, the 105/2.5 is simply one of the EASIEST-to-focus manual focusing lenses ever made...it has an almost perfect combination between magnification and maximum f/stop and focusing helicoid throw, to the point that it is, well, just so,so easy to focus that the lens is actually usable on an AF body. The 105/2.5 is quite small and light by modern standards, and it is an ideal lens for candid, cityscapes, and landscape work...it's hard to OVER-state how well-designed and well-made the 105/2.5 AiS lens is/was.

^^ curious as to why they didn't make an AF version of it if it was so good. Is the 105 f/2 DC that much better?

You might not have considered it, but fsquare, your D300 will mount, meter, and shoot the older Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 in either Ai or AiS mount variations. I've owned the 105/2.5 AiS model since it came out in the early 1980's, and it is truly one of the real gems among the older manual focus Nikkor lenses. The "one-oh-five two-five" as most of us call it, is an absolute dream as far as manually focusing; along with a 300/2.8, the 105/2.5 is simply one of the EASIEST-to-focus manual focusing lenses ever made...it has an almost perfect combination between magnification and maximum f/stop and focusing helicoid throw, to the point that it is, well, just so,so easy to focus that the lens is actually usable on an AF body. The 105/2.5 is quite small and light by modern standards, and it is an ideal lens for candid, cityscapes, and landscape work...it's hard to OVER-state how well-designed and well-made the 105/2.5 AiS lens is/was.

I found one used for $125

One thing about using MF on non-full frame SLR/DSLR is that it's challenging to know when it is focused right. May be it's just me, but I've always had a hard time trying to focus manually on my friend's DSLRs. I will think it's focused, click it and only to discover out of focus image when being blown up on a LCD screen. When using a DSLR, I always put it in AF modes.

The Nikon F501 I have has the biggest and brightest view finder. Manual focusing on that thing is a pleasure actually. The F4 feels noticeably smaller, but I can still manage it.

So if you want to get a manual focus lens, I'd recommend testing it first and see how it works for you. The thing about shooting macro is that the DOF is soooo shallow that moving a couple of millimeters will take your image out of focus. When holding the camera with your hands (or without tripod), it's hard to keep the focus, so AF will be very helpful to get constant and quick adjustments. Of course, if you are trained as a professional navy seal sniper, you can find yourself great deals on the AI-s option.

Anyways, for $125, I'd just bite the bullet and go for it if I were you. What's the worst that can happen? You can always resell it on ebay and may be even profit from it.

If you want a longer/lighter/less-expensive lens that is even sharper then the 80-200mm and just as fast (considering the focal length) you should check out a 300mm f4.5 IF-ED AIS.

Manual focus, but fully compatible with your d300 other wise. Amazing image quality!

%21B54zoQQB2k%7E$%28KGrHqIOKioEy%28rVd9eIBMvZRh30Rg%7E%7E_1_13423_1.JPG

Most reactions

New Topics

Back