Nikon 105mm macro advice

GoonjoshGoon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys after visiting a local photo gallery at a downtown art event I have taken an interest in macro photography, especially the abstract aspect of it. There was an older gentleman who used stained glass and jewelry and ordinary household things like cds to make some of the most captivating and beautiful macro images i have ever seen. The colors were just amazing. He also said, that he was 100% self taught and he never took a class. I didnt want to ask him what equipment he used because i dont feel like thats what made the photos.

However, do any of you guys use the 105mm macro? I have heard mixed things about it. I was thinking about picking up one from BH in 2 weeks when i get paid again. I dont really want to get the 3rd party alternative since those dont seem to hold their value as much.

Does anyone have any advice on this lens? Is it good for abstract macro?

However, do any of you guys use the 105mm macro? / Is it good for abstract macro?

I've got the Canon version of the lens its great and for abstract or more targeted macro.

Does anyone have any advice on this lens?

There are several versions of this lens are we talking about the AF-S or the AF-D version?

Don't discount the 3rd party options - I've never quite understood why people get all hung up about the resale value. Unless you're dealing in camera gear or you only keep hobbies for a short period of time before selling them on resale isn't really a concern at all - and 3rd party macro lenses are every put as sharp as the nikon or canon ones.

and 3rd party macro lenses are every put as sharp as the nikon or canon ones.

Overread is the macro king around these parts. Best you listen!

Alright Overread, would you suggest the Sigma macro? Honestly I have no experience with 3rd party lenses Im just going along with what I read (i know that sounds terrible.)

And Formatted i was talking about the Af-s version, however which would you prefer? Isnt one more geared towards a portrait lens and the other more suited for macro?

Hey guys what about the 105mm f/1.8 from nikon?

I should mention that although I was kinda wanting to purchase something brand new so that im 100% confident it works and I will get a warranty I wouldnt mind having a lens i could use on my d3000 and also my film fe2. This is not possible with the "G" series 105mm.

I use the older manual focus 105mm f2.8 micro ais. Macro photography often calls for manual focusing, so I didn't think it was worth all the extra $$ to buy an AF or AF-S macro lens. The optics on the older lenses are just as good' there's an f4 version of the 108 micro ais as well, which is also top notch optically. Keep in mind that older manual focus lenses won't meter on your d3000, you'd have to expose manually.

You'll want a set of extension tubes, and either a ring flash or off-camera flash. I use two off camera flashes on a bracket that allows me to place both on either side of the subject.

Oh, and if you go with an af or af-s lens, you will have to buy a more expensive cpu-compatible set of extension tubes to maintain metering and autofocus. Cheapo non-cpu tubes are fine for using with the older lenses.

A flash is essential when doing large magnifications, because you have to stop down so far to maintain dof.

I wouldnt mind having a lens i could use on my d3000 and also my film fe2. This is not possible with the "G" series.

This is exactly why I bought the Micro-nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8D version of the lens. it's cheap, quality is excellent, and it works on my fe.

djacobox372, I didnt know that you needed extension tubes. I thought they were just optional, i know about the off camera or ring flash and right now i have a sb-600 and was planning on purchasing another or maybe an sb-800.

What exactly do the extension tubes do though?

I should mention that im relatively new to photography, its been less than a year and I thought I was ready to pick up a new lens and start learning some new techniques.

djacobox372, I didnt know that you needed extension tubes. I thought they were just optional, i know about the off camera or ring flash and right now i have a sb-600 and was planning on purchasing another or maybe an sb-800.

What exactly do the extension tubes do though?

I should mention that im relatively new to photography, its been less than a year and I thought I was ready to pick up a new lens and start learning some new techniques.

You don't "need" extension tubes. However, if you want to get maximum magnification you will want them.

Extension tubes allow you to focus closer to the the subject, increasing magnification.

Don't discount the 3rd party options - I've never quite understood why people get all hung up about the resale value. Unless you're dealing in camera gear or you only keep hobbies for a short period of time before selling them on resale isn't really a concern at all - and 3rd party macro lenses are every put as sharp as the nikon or canon ones.

same as what i heard, the macro class performance does not show significant diff between nikkor and 3rd party manufactures.

Alright guys sorry to dig up an old thread but I didnt want to start a new one either. So I recently sold my d3000 and have been shooting with my fe2 and im now looking for a macro lens. I really am having a hard time decing between the older manual focus 105mm 2.8 and the Af-d version, is it true that the older manual focus wont go to 1:1 reproduction? How is the Af-d version when manual focused? I know that macro focusing is usually done manually but i was mostly asking about the quailty of the optics and magnification.

Quality of all 105s has been astounding from Nikon. What do you mean how is the AF model when manually focused? It's like any other lens when manually focused. Ring turns lens focuses. Mine is smooth and easy to turn.

Also the correct designation is "AF" or "AF-S" not "AF-D". It's a Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8D, where the D only designates that it has a chip for communicating with the bodies, but there are AF lenses without the D designation and there are AF-S lenses with the D designation too.

However if you are after a manual focus 105mm macro I highly suggest you look into a Vivitar 1 series 105mm f/2 macro. Optics are equal to if not better than the Nikkor AF, but the focusing. .... OOOOH THAT FOCUSING.... the manual focus ring has about 720degrees of travel between infinity and 1:1. That's far more than double the travel of the Nikkors and makes for simply excellent precision focusing.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back