Nikon 105mm Micro

rubbertree

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm very excited and getting ready to buy a macro lens. I've done a lot of research and am set on the Nikon 105 mm f/2.8 VR IF-ED. And it just so happens to be "Nikon Month" at a camera store in the city, they are offering that lens on sale as well.
So, I did a bit of reading here last night and saw two comments in passing saying that they think the non-VR version is better than the VR, but didn't say why.
Can anyone give me any insight on this lens and the non-VR type?
What do you think of this lens?
Can anyone post some pictures taken with this lens?

TIA!

It is a very good pro lens.
I agree with the 'VR off on a tripod' comment.

Its an awesome lens not only for macro but for portraits too! The only reason I sold mine was so I could raise funds for my 300 F4.

Have a look at www.christwine.com under macro - all those shots were taken with the lens.

Get it - u wont regret it!

As to why. Both lenses are optically very similar. But the VR model is harder to wield. There have been plenty of reported cases of the lens focus hunting for no apparent reason even in scenes with plenty of contrast to focus on. Also there have been reports of the VR being of somewhat limited use and not working very well with this particular brand of lens.

I bought the older model off a friend who upgraded to the VR version and he is still complaining that he should have spent his money on something else.

That said both can produce fantastic results, and the old one has been discontinued so even though you'd get it cheaper it may be harder to find.

When I tested out the 105 VR, the lens hunted quite a lot; it would zoom from focus range to focus range. It was slightly annoying at times, but it only took a bit more time to focus than normal. Also, the VR is virtually useless at 1:1 macro focusing. As to why this is, I don't know.

The main thing to note is that because this is an Internal Focusing lens (meaning the lens won't extend while focusing) the maximum aperture will drop to F/4.8 at a 1:1 reproduction ratio.

Nevertheless, the 105mm VR Macro lens is a really fantastic macro lens. The things I pointed out really won't make much difference to your photos. This also doubles up as a very good portrait lens. It's even a good telephoto lens if you need one! I would thoroughly recommend it.

I personally use the new AF-S Nikon 60mm f/2.8 Micro lens, and if its optics are any indication as to the 105mm, you're in for a treat. Now, if I'd been more into like, insect type stuff or whatever, I'd probably have done with the 105mm or 200mm myself, but the 60mm is still a good length (at least on dSLRS, all but D3 since it's full-frame). I'd go with the VR version if I was you. Bjorn Rorslett has reviews of both versions on his site though, I'd check it out. I believe it's naturfotograf.com. And if that's wrong, just Google him.

i will be buying the 105VR here shortly.. I plan to only manual focus so i dont have a problem with it hunting

Thank you all for the replies.
I read the Bjorn review (and several others while I was there), his reviews are very helpful, in that he gives so much detail in the review. However, he doesn't seem very fond of the 105mm VR! He gave it a 4 - 4.5 out of 5 but sold the one he had!

Thank you all for the replies.
I read the Bjorn review (and several others while I was there), his reviews are very helpful, in that he gives so much detail in the review. However, he doesn't seem very fond of the 105mm VR! He gave it a 4 - 4.5 out of 5 but sold the one he had!

Which is why I pointed you in that direction. It's good to see the good, and bad about any lens before buying. :]

Indeed! Thank you again, I've been back several more times to read other reviews of his!

Most reactions

Back