Nikon 135 f2? Sigma 150 Macro? Nikon/Tamron 70-200 2.8?

Tokina's 100mm macro lens makes for a pretty good portrait lens. And it shouldn't break the bank.

I've been using nothing but AS/AS-i (make that Ai/Ai-S) lenses exclusively for the past month or so. I'd forgotten how nice they are. And while no one is paying attention to them CHEAP!!!!

I have a couple that have been "chipped" and they are very nice and easy ti use. I grew up w/manual focus so it's familiar to me.

My best friend shot with a $6 Series E 50MM f 1.8 an a D3100.

DSC_0873_028tag4_zpsf4465d04.jpg

Last edited:
You wouldn't regret the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC ($1,499 and 1.47 kg / 3.24 lb). There is a current $100 off rebate at B&H for it, until Oct. 31, 2014, making it $1,399 until next month. It is probably the best lens in its category for enthusiast photogs, and the lightest 70-200 2.8 out there. It's very rugged, solid and weather sealed, with possibly the best IQ out there.

Tested with the D810, its sweet spot for portraits is at f/2.8-3.5 all around the zoom range, as it holds the overall standard across the whole FX frame, corner to corner, in all zoom range. Its sweet spot for super sharpness is around f/3.5-4.0 all around the zoom range as well.

The only downturn is that its AF system does not work well with any teleconverter out there (makes it a MF lens when mounted with a TC, even if holding the IQ). If you don't need TCs, then you're pretty good. Dxo points out it's the best optical formula for the D800/E/810 family for this category, ahead of the Nikkors and Sigmas equivalents.

The Sigma 150mm f/2.8 ($1,099 and 1.18 kg / 2.6 lb), is also a good option, but only $300 below the current B&H rebate for the Tamron 70-200 above. And with the Tamron, you gain so much flexibility. But the Sigma is macro, while the Tamron is not. If you need/want macro, your decision would be easier.

Although macro, Dxo points out that the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 is much softer than the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC when paired with the D800, so if maximun sharpness is not your deal, it could be a good option for you. I use the Tamron above in the D810, and am pretty happy with it. I also use another Sigma macro lens, the 105m f/2.8, and I just love it as well. According to Dxo, the Sigma 105mm holds up similar sharpness levels of the 150mm, and that is enough for portrats and macro work as well, for sure. The 150mm comes with a tripod mount, while the 105mm does not.

So I believe you'd have amazing options between the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and the Sigma 150mm 2.8. My own combination was to go with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 (because of the versatility of the zoom range and the sharpness/IQ/vibration control/cost benefit offered) and with the Sigma 105mm 2.8 (mainly for macro shots and eventual portraits as well).

Here samples shots with them:

You wouldn't regret the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 VC ($1,499 and 1.47 kg / 3.24 lb). There is a current $100 off rebate at B&H for it, until Oct. 31, 2014, making it $1,399 until next month. It is probably the best lens in its category for enthusiast photogs, and the lightest 70-200 2.8 out there. It's very rugged, solid and weather sealed, with possibly the best IQ out there.

Tested with the D810, its sweet spot for portraits is at f/2.8-3.5 all around the zoom range, as it holds the overall standard across the whole FX frame, corner to corner, in all zoom range. Its sweet spot for super sharpness is around f/3.5-4.0 all around the zoom range as well.

The only downturn is that its AF system does not work well with any teleconverter out there (makes it a MF lens when mounted with a TC, even if holding the IQ). If you don't need TCs, then you're pretty good. Dxo points out it's the best optical formula for the D800/E/810 family for this category, ahead of the Nikkors and Sigmas equivalents.

The Sigma 150mm f/2.8 ($1,099 and 1.18 kg / 2.6 lb), is also a good option, but only $300 below the current B&H rebate for the Tamron 70-200 above. And with the Tamron, you gain so much flexibility. But the Sigma is macro, while the Tamron is not. If you need/want macro, your decision would be easier.

Although macro, Dxo points out that the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 is much softer than the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 VC when paired with the D800, so if maximun sharpness is not your deal, it could be a good option for you. I use the Tamron above in the D810, and am pretty happy with it. I also use another Sigma macro lens, the 105m f/2.8, and I just love it as well. According to Dxo, the Sigma 105mm holds up similar sharpness levels of the 150mm, and that is enough for portrats and macro work as well, for sure. The 150mm comes with a tripod mount, while the 105mm does not.

So I believe you'd have amazing options between the Tamron 70-200 2.8 and the Sigma 150mm 2.8. My own combination was to go with the Tamron 70-200 2.8 (because of the versatility of the zoom range and the sharpness/IQ/vibration control/cost benefit offered) and with the Sigma 105mm 2.8 (mainly for macro shots and eventual portraits as well).

Here samples shots with them:

One thing I've read is that the tamron has some pretty rough bokeh when compared to Nikon. I think, I need to get this lens in hand before I buy it. I've never rented before, but I think now is the time.

Jake

Renting before buying is always a good option, for sure.

Also, I'm not sure if you know that (sorry if you do already): Please be aware that almost all macro lenses change aperture as you focus and change the lens magnification ratio, so the f/2.8 is NOT constant, even it being a prime lens. For instance, focused at infinity, my 105mm goes normal, from f/2.8 through f/22. Focused on its closest proximity of 30cm/1ft or so (at 1:1 macro magnification ratio), it goes from f/5.6 through f/45. Similar with most high end macro lenses out there.

For portraits, it is common to get f/3, f/3.5 f/4 as you wider aperture, depending on your distance to the subject. Because of that, the longer the focal length, the longer your distance to the portraiture subject, and the wider will be your f/#. In other words, you will only get the f/2.8 aperture when focused at infinity. Focused under infinity will make the f/# to increase. At the closest focus (~30cm/1ft), you get f/5.6 as you widest option.

Renting before buying is always a good option, for sure.

Also, I'm not sure if you know that (sorry if you do already): Please be aware that almost all macro lenses change aperture as you focus and change the lens magnification ratio, so the f/2.8 is NOT constant, even it being a prime lens. Focused at infinity, it goes normal, from f/2.8 through f/22. Focused on its closest proximity of 30cm/1ft or so (at 1:1 macro magnification ratio), it goes from f/5.6 through f/45. Similar with most high end macro lenses out there.

For portraits, it is common to get f/3, f/3.5 f/4 as you wider aperture, depending on your distance to the subject. Because of that, the longer the focal length, the longer your distance to the portraiture subject, and the wider will be your f/#. In other words, you will only get the f/2.8 aperture when focused at infinity. Focused under infinity will make the f/# to increase. At the closest focus (~30cm/1ft), you get f/5.6 as you widest option.

Yeah, I did know that, which is making me shy away from the Sigma. I really know deep down that I want a modern, image stabilized 70-200. I might just rent the Tamron for an event I'm shooting this weekend to see how it handles and all that.

Jake

Welp, I just ordered the Tamron from lens rentals.. I'll have it from Friday to next Tuesday, and my event is this Saturday afternoon. I've never rented before--let's hope it goes well!

Welp, I just ordered the Tamron from lens rentals.. I'll have it from Friday to next Tuesday, and my event is this Saturday afternoon. I've never rented before--let's hope it goes well!
Good luck, have a sneaky feeling you are going love the lens :)

Good luck, have a sneaky feeling you are going love the lens :)

Me too! I'm excited, I also was able to schedule an engagement shoot last minute for this Sunday--so it'll get a full event test Saturday night and a portrait shoot Sunday afternoon. I'll definitely be putting it through it's paces. I'll make sure to post a detailed "how I felt about it" review.

Good luck.
I found I get best results at f4 but it will amaze you even at f2.8

A good rule is to, almost NEVER, shot two-person photos at f/2.8...the DOF is just sooooo thin at f/2.8, no matter how good the lens is, on anything closer than full-length, at f/2.8 you run the risk of having one person or the other being noticeably OOF...

Most reactions

Back