Nikon 14-24 Filter Holder

spacefuzz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I just got my nikon 14-24 lens (yay!). I want to use my 4x6 Lee filters with it, but dont want to pay $400 for their holder. I am going to design my own, and was wondering if anyone here had already done so. Would love to see what you came up with!

I call it "my left middle finger and my left thumb, in a pinching motion". Works great! Always have it with me! Adjusts to various lenses without any issues!

I came up with the Lee holder for $85.00, not $400.00. Another $27.00 for the mounting ring.

Yes I also got my Lee setup w/ adapter ring for around $120. $400?

I have the "P" series of Cokin filters, My only suggestion it to be mindful with the Nikkor 14-24mm, it's wider than you might think.

1009292251_3iZR2-XL.jpg

Hey spacefuzz congratulations on your new 14-24mm. Does your 14-24mm's aperture lever spring back to the default position when you push it down?

Haha Derrel, that works in a *pinch* but during seascape shooting the last thing you want your mind on is holding a filter, need to be watching waves.

The Lee holder is here: LEE Filters SW150 Filter Holder Kit KIT-SW150 B&H Photo Video
I think the $85 one you see is the Lee standard holder which doesnt fit over the lens (I have it).

Dorksterr: yes I believe it does

Kundalini: thanks for pointing that out, I see they recommend 150x170mm grads....which are of course back ordered on B&H. I think I should start a filter company, Lee and Cokin both seem to have dropped the ball. There are buyers and no product!

Surely you factored filter options into your decision to go with this lens over something like the 16-35? This is why the 16-35 is largely preferred for landscapes.

There's no way you guys are referring to the same adapters. Here's a link to the ones that fit the 14-24:

LEE Filters SW150 Filter Holder Kit KIT-SW150 B&H Photo Video

Surely you factored filter options into your decision to go with this lens over something like the 16-35? This is why the 16-35 is largely preferred for landscapes.

There's no way you guys are referring to the same adapters. Here's a link to the ones that fit the 14-24:

LEE Filters SW150 Filter Holder Kit KIT-SW150 B&H Photo Video

I was aware I would be making my own filter holder (I do rapid prototype product design as part of my job so that was never a concern). I did not realize they were specialty filter sizes.

And I would disagree that the 16-35 is preferred, I think the 14-24 is the finest landscape lens made, and even canon users buy them.

The general consensus is that these lenses serve two different purposes.

Nikon 14-24: Architecture, weddings, low light (although f/2.8 and f/4 with VR are close), and group shots
Nikon 16-35: Walk-around lens, landscapes, and pretty much anything else except for architecture (slight distortion, although it can be easily corrected).

Does that mean you cannot alter their uses? Absolutely not; the 14-24 is a fantastic lens. But many people prefer not to pay over $600 in filter adapters and 150x150mm filters when the only real trade-off between the two lenses is a small variance in distortion and sharpness in the corners.

The only reason I even brought it up is because it does not seem like you thoroughly researched the pro's and con's before you purchased it, since you aren't prepared for how to adapt filters to this lens. For example, in your initial post you stated you plan on using the 4x6" filters... The 14-24mm requires 150x150mm filters which run about $120-$200+ each.

These suggestions are sincere, I am not trying to put you down. It's an amazing lens, but only if used properly.

The general consensus is that these lenses serve two different purposes.

Nikon 14-24: Architecture, weddings, low light (although f/2.8 and f/4 with VR are close), and group shots
Nikon 16-35: Walk-around lens, landscapes, and pretty much anything else except for architecture (slight distortion, although it can be easily corrected).

Does that mean you cannot alter their uses? Absolutely not; the 14-24 is a fantastic lens. But many people prefer not to pay over $600 in filter adapters and 150x150mm filters when the only real trade-off between the two lenses is a small variance in distortion and sharpness in the corners.

The only reason I even brought it up is because it does not seem like you thoroughly researched the pro's and con's before you purchased it, since you aren't prepared for how to adapt filters to this lens. For example, in your initial post you stated you plan on using the 4x6" filters... The 14-24mm requires 150x150mm filters which run about $120-$200+ each.

These suggestions are sincere, I am not trying to put you down. It's an amazing lens, but only if used properly.

weddings at 14 mm? Never even heard it mentioned as a wedding lens..... The 14-24 is THE landscape lens though. I have heard of the 16-35 and it is the lens you settle for if you cant shell out the cash for the 14-24.

Did you read the original post? I am designing my own filter holder / adapter and was seeing if anyone else in the community has tried it......

Most reactions

Back