Nikon 17-55/f2.8G DX question..........

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

The Angry photographer said that the 17-55/f2.8G DX is an awesome lens and that it could be used on a full frame camera without much problem. If that is true, couldn't the common 18-55 DX lens be used on a full frame? I did notice that the 17-55 is twice as big as the 18-55 3.5-5.6. Would like to know your thoughts.

Lonnie

Stop watching this fool. He doesn't even take pictures.

The Angry photographer said that the 17-55/f2.8G DX is an awesome lens and that it could be used on a full frame camera without much problem. If that is true, couldn't the common 18-55 DX lens be used on a full frame? I did notice that the 17-55 is twice as big as the 18-55 3.5-5.6. Would like to know your thoughts.
Hi, again!

I have not watched that video, but I would suggest that lenses with similar focal lengths might be substantially different in design and construction. You can't just assume that lenses of the same focal length are the same lens.

Anyway, as we have already noticed in other threads is that some lenses have acceptable attributes, some have outstanding attributes, and some have appalling attributes, all from the same manufacturer, and all from the same general era.

One would be wise to be somewhat skeptical of claims made without hard evidence and some careful evaluation.

My advice is to consult more than one source before making the decision to purchase.

Last edited:
In a short answer, yes, a DX lens can be used on a Nikon FX body, however you would have to shoot in DX mode or you'll get some vignetting (especially at the wide end).

I still use my 55-200 DX kit lens on the D750.

Bad assumption regarding the 18-55 being useful on a full frame camera. The 18 to 55 is designed to be a $99 zoom lens the 17-55 DX is about $1,000 lens. There are some lenses which were designed for DX size sensors but which work relatively well to very well on a full frame camera. I don't believe the 18 to 55 kit lens was ever anticipated as being a decent lens on full frame. A few years ago Tokina had I believe the 16 to 28 F / 2.8 which worked pretty well on full frame even though it was DX-optimized lens. Both Thom Hogan and Ken Rockwell, when they review lenses designed for DX, tell you how well the lens performs when it is used on a full frame camera.

I remember when the 35 millimeter F / 1.8 DX was reviewed by dPreview. That lens design covers the 5 by 4 aspect ratio (8 x 10 but sometimes called the 1.2 x crop) of full frame with almost no vignette. A few years ago I used, I believe it was , the 18 to 105 mm DX on a full frame camera and it had a horrible round circle image with huge areas of black. It was completely unacceptable in FX capture mode. Higher-end cameras sometimes have different aspect ratios such as 5 x 4 or 1.2 x crop, as well as 1.5 x crop or "DX". How well a lens covers the capture area is determined by each individual lens design as well as what the size of the capture area is.

Last edited:
That is a good observation to make about the price difference between the 17-55 and the 18-55. The lenses seem to be in two different worlds. The 17-55 is 2 1/2 times the size of the 18-55. Now I am curious to know how the 17-55 would work on my Nikon D3200.

Now I am curious to know how the 17-55 would work on my Nikon D3200.
Good glass will be good glass on whichever camera you have. Are you planning to buy a 17-55?

Yes, I am thinking about it. But then a few hours later I think I'm crazy for buying camera lenses. I am starting to see how people start selling off lenses, because they have too many.

The 17-55 would work splendidly on your Nikon D 3200, but it is a fairly large and fairly heavy lens. It was designed as the high-end standard zoom for professional DX users. I would definitely look at buying this lens used.

Life would be easier if I could enjoy the DX cameras more. Now I am wondering what type of professionals use DX cameras.

Yes, I am thinking about it. But then a few hours later I think I'm crazy for buying camera lenses. I am starting to see how people start selling off lenses, because they have too many.
I don't know how other people conduct themselves, but for me, I concentrate on buying very good lenses, and keeping them. Is it possible that the people selling lenses are merely culling their collection by dumping the so-so lenses?

I started buying lenses even before I upgraded my camera body.

Life would be easier if I could enjoy the DX cameras more. Now I am wondering what type of professionals use DX cameras.
There is nothing fundamentally wrong with a DX camera. The sensor technology is advancing quite fast, so the latest DX cameras have excellent sensors and professional features.

Most reactions

Back