Nikon 17-55 vs 35/50 1.8 Primes

Tarazed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How does the 17-55 compare to the inexpensive 1.8 primes? I know its big and heavy, not a concern. How about sharpness? I take a lot of "people" shots in natural light. Is 2.8 too slow? I'm using a d7000 with 80-200 afs, 105 vr, 35 1.8 and 50 1.5. I need something wider I had 16-85 but found it sooo slow. The 2.8 wider primes don't seem to have the greatest reputations. So I'm looking at zooms.

Thanks

Honestly, Im not the most experienced, and able to answer, but I made the jump to the 17-55, and its not let me down! Im often in low light, tight spaces (I photograph births), and its be a great lens! Its great if you like the options a zoom will wllo. I have a 35mm 1.8 that I often use too. I like primes, but sometimes, having the zoom is really helpful. It is heavy, and after a full day of shooting with it, my hand will be tired. But over all, love it, just watch filling the frame 17, that wide will distort the image a bit, but if your aware and shoot accordingly, no worries.

personally i prefer a 35 1.8 and a wide angle zoom together over a mid range 2.8 zoom. but this can get hectic in changing lenses, if iq is a concern than this is the best way. However you cannot argue with the conveinece of going from 17mm wide to 35 or 50 instantly. its like having 3 lenses in one, but none as good if they were just for that one specific purpose. For still subjects the two lens combo is better as a walk around a midrange zoom cant be beat. Only you can decide what you need.

Most reactions

Back