Nikon 18-200 mm VR II

Orlanda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anybody Have the Nikon 18-200 VR11 Lens and if so tell me what you think about it thank you

I owned 2 of them, one after the other, and was very disappointed with and sold both.

Any zoom lens that has a 10x+ zoom range is unofficially known as a superzoom convenience lens.

A lot of superzoom lenses are sold because of the convenience.
But the lens designers have to make many interconnected design compromises to achieve the 10x+ zoom range that negatively impact image quality.

Here is a respected review website - Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR DX review: Digital Photography Review
Another respected review website - Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR II DX - Review / Test Report - Analysis
Thom is also well respected - 18-200mm AF-S DX VR Lens Review by Thom Hogan

Last edited:
I have one... and never use it.

I've kept it around as a 'travel' lens. However i plan on buying a smaller mirrorless body/system and selling the super zoom. I figure if i'm taking mediocre images i might as well carry around a small camera :D

If your going to be at the long end, the Nikon 70-300VRII will give sharper images (and a tich faster Auto Focus). If your going to be at the wide end the 18-105mm will be just as good.. both can be had for under the cost of the 18-200.

I have the 18-200 and I like it. I'm definitely not a pro by any definition (I don't even have a facebook photography page!) so bear that in mind. My camera is the D3000. I have a couple of prime lenses as well as the 18-200. It's a good all-around lens. I mostly take pictures of my kids and it works well for that. In low light, my camera/lens combination is not the best; it's no 70-200 VRII, but it's not meant to be. Like any product, you have to look at what value you will get vs. your expectations/needs and budget.

I own one and have been very happy with it. However I just got the 18-300 and it performs as well or maybe even a little better. Nikon has probably learned to make them even better. Now the 18-200 sits on the shelf. The only thing I noticed about the 18-300 is that the VR takes a noticeable amount of time to settle down. Like a second or so. It's also only DX so for my full frame I bought the 28-300 FX lens. I like this convenience but still own some of the sharper (but not by much) lenses for critical shooting.
I am also just an amateur and shoot mostly for fun. I live very near the ocean and the salt air is not so nice to front surface mirrors and sensors, so changing lenses outdoors is a worry.

I had one in the past. Great little lens. I also owned the 18-300 VR and it's even better.
Sold them both however when I started getting more into photography. But don't worry, they're fine lenses.

Most reactions

Back