Nikon 20mm/1.8 vs Irix 15mm/2.4 vs Tamron 17-35/2.8-4 Zeiss Distagon 21/2.8

Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am going to buy a wide angle lens when I get the money. No more than $1000. The lens must accept thread-in filters, and the lens should be weather sealed. The four in the title are the ones I am considering, but does anyone have experiences with any of them?

It is important to me that manual focus is a good experience, that it is fairly sharp, and that it is not very heavy. The lens will be used on a Nikon D800, and I would like to get as much as possible out of the sensor.

Perhaps there are some candidates that I have forgotten?

I would really appreciate any input!

-Anders

Last edited:
I would really appreciate any input!
I have no personal experience with any of them, but if you look at some sample images on pixelpeeper, you can judge the quality.

For what it's worth, the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8 G is on my wish list. The sample photographs are amazing!

I have the Tamron 17-35 f/2.8~4 from apprx. 2005 or so... not bad, not great,a bit of purple flare when shot toward the sun...Have they released an updated version since the mid-2000's?

The Nikon 20mm f/1.8G is on my wish-list; that would be my selection from your list.

I picked up the 24mm f/2.8D to use on my D800e and so far have been pleased with this very small addition to the bag. All the fast zooms that cover 24mm were too big for me to lug around.

I think the Irix is a more robust lens that will handle poor weather conditions better (which we get a lot of here in Norway). I'm leaning toward that, and a couple of their 95mm ND filters :) Perhaps I'll get the Nikon 20mm later, at some point. I still have to save up the money, so I will probably change my decision in a few days' time :p

I was able to use the Zeiss lens for a few weeks when a friend came to visit on a D810. Keep in mind this is a purely manual focus lens and requires a keen eye, Live View focusing and in most cases, mirror up, cable release for optimum results. I had the older 20mm 1.8 Nikon but sold it and now buying another one. Both are excellent lenses but in the end of all ends, nothing, but nothing beats Zeiss glass if you have the pockets deep enough to afford that glass.

I can recomment the AF-S 20mm f1.8 which I use. No sharpness issue even wide open into the corners, focuses quite close too and stays sharp even then. Some vignetting and its not the most emotional lens, but at this focal length no lens is. By the way, its also very lightweight. Feels plasticky though.

I love my Zeiss 35mm f2 to bits, like my Zeiss 28mm f2 too, but the Zeiss 21mm f2.8 is really not worth it. Compared to the AF-S 20mm f1.8 it has more than a stop less light, more vignetting, is less sharp in most situations (except at f2.8 in the corners, but at f4 the AF-S has already again taken over), and cannot focus as close. The new Milvus is optically unchanged. On top of that the lens is large, heavy, and expensive. Its also a technical lens, just like the Nikkor, with somewhat muted colors. If theres a point to still get that lens I'm all ears but I dont see it.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Just to update, I'm also strongly considering the Sigma 24-35/2 art. It's heavy and has a short range, but only the first one will be a limitation for me, I think. It's still about 3-400 grams lighter than my 70-200/2.8, though.

Most reactions

Back