Nikon 20mm 2.8D Noisy AF

captvizcenzo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just got my copy of Nikon 20mm 2.8D today. I was surprised when I mounted it on my D90, the AF sounds annoyingly noisy. The video below will show the problem more clearly.

I want to know if this is normal for all Nikon 20mm lens, or it's just me having a bad copy. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is noisy too. I don't let it bother me.

Awe it sounds like a Sigma. Lol. Never mind how it sounds I want to see pictures.
The pictures it produces are totally fine I guess. I'm just wondering if all Nikon 20mm behave like this though.

As the previous contributors have stated, let the sharpness of the images speak for themselves. Mine is the same, I'm not too concerned.

It sounds like some half-arsed night club singer doing a cover version of MY 20mm/2.8 AF'D's focusing song...of course, your lens has been run through Auto-Tune, so it's perfectly on pitch with mine...but the styling of mine is more polished.

Is it me or does it sound a bit rougher pointed down?

I've owned three copies of the 20mm. One like new, one EX, and one beater. All with varying degrees of friction noise.

But, the friction noise I remember was from the focus assembly being overly loose. Your copy seems like there might be a small bind.

Last edited:
As the previous contributors have stated, let the sharpness of the images speak for themselves. Mine is the same, I'm not too concerned.
Yeah, its sharpness never let me down! :lol:
It sounds like some half-arsed night club singer doing a cover version of MY 20mm/2.8 AF'D's focusing song...of course, your lens has been run through Auto-Tune, so it's perfectly on pitch with mine...but the styling of mine is more polished.
LOL
Is it me or does it sound a bit rougher pointed down?

I've owned three copies of the 20mm. One like new, one EX, and one beater. All with varying degrees of friction noise.

But, the friction noise I remember was from the focus assembly being overly loose. Your copy seems like there might be a small bind.
Yes, it sounds a bit rougher pointed down. Anyway, what do you mean by a "small bind"?

all my AF-D sounds like that. screw driven autofocus isn't really pleasant but the lenses are amazing nonetheless but i will agree with the previous statement that when pointed downwards it does sound a bit rough...it shouldn't sound differently (at least none of mine do)...

all my AF-D sounds like that. screw driven autofocus isn't really pleasant but the lenses are amazing nonetheless but i will agree with the previous statement that when pointed downwards it does sound a bit rough...it shouldn't sound differently...
That's what bothering me, it sounds differently when pointed downwards. Anyway, it is still working great up to this date. :)

lol this is an old thread just noticed it now....but good to see its working well...

Most reactions

Back