Nikon 24-70 2.8 vs Nikon 28-70 2.8

goodguy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was at the new Toronto aquarium and used my Nikon 50mm 1.4D, got nice shots but I really needed a fast zoom lens.
A used Nikon 24-70mm 2.8 I see goes for around 1400$ and new 1600$ so it makes no sence to get a used lens if the difference is 200$
I found the Nikon 28-70mm 2.8 used goes for around 700$-900$ used.

I know both lenses are good but if the 24-70mm 2.8 worth the extra bucks ?
Not sure if the 28-70mm has the internal silance wave motor but it makes no differenace as I have the Nikon D7100 so I have the in body AF motor.

So oh wise fellow TPF please tell me what you are thinking of both lenses.

1.Is the 24-70 much better then the older 28-70 ?
2.Is it sharper ?
3.Is it worth the huge price difference ?
4.What about weight difference ?
5.Which has a better bokeh ?

I did consider third party lenses but I read the Sigma 24-70mm 2.8 isnt so sharp and the Tamron 24.70mm 2.8 is the fabolous lens but the chances of getting a lemon is scarying me because I heard too many scary stories on this lens and hit and miss on it.
Please add any more info you think might help me decide

Given the mere fact that the 28-70 is discontinued, I'd say the 24-70 would trounce it in all IQ aspects.

Given the mere fact that the 28-70 is discontinued, I'd say the 24-70 would trounce it in all IQ aspects.
Makes sense but the 24-70mm has many advantages but the question is how better ?
If in IQ the advantage is slim then the older one is worth considering.
I dont mean to be disrespectful as I appreciate your reply but I really am looking for someone that knows these 2 lenses and can tell me what are the main differences and is the price difference really worth it.

The tamron is slightly behind the Nikon the the corners at the end of the zoom range...but the vc gives you a good 3 stops of shutter hand held...they were 1100 new on rebate.

The tamron is slightly behind the Nikon the the corners at the end of the zoom range...but the vc gives you a good 3 stops of shutter hand held...they were 1100 new on rebate.
I know, I read and saw a lot about the Tamron, it looks like the perfect lens except that the sales guy in my local camera store told me he had a client who bought the Tamron and it wasnt sharp so he replaced it with a new lens only to find that one wasnt sharp either so he said he doesnt recommend it.
I read same issues in few more places so I am a bit concerned, yes its good but I am afraid to get a lemon.

I have a 28-70mm 2.8 but have zero experience with the 24-70mm 2.8. So all I can say is I really enjoy my 28-70mm and it's built like a tank. I would venture as to say the 28-70mm 2.8 has a better build quality and more study. This probably means more weight but it's not enough for me to notice.

I bought mine used/open box from amazon, sharp as balls. (okay balls arent sharp, you know what i mean)

All sizes | The Yawn. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Thank you for the vote of confidence, I will look deeper into the option of this lens.
It got stellar reviews, I saw due to its very good VC it was chosen over the Nikon, the Nikon is still a bit sharper but has no VR.

They are both good but the 24-70 is sharper and can be shot into the sun without flaring. ( so I've read) the 28-70 is nice too but no nano coating and the afs motor has been known to go bad ( squeak)

I have no experience with them. I own the 35-70 and have been thinking of the 28-70 or 24-70 but haven't decided yet.

Careful how you evaluate the cost. A used 24-70 listed for $1400 by a private seller can likely be bargained down to $1300 maybe even $1200 (no tax). Add taxes to the new one available at $1600 and you're looking at $1800. I'd say a $400 difference is significant especially if you can score a it in great condition. I played with one of these lenses and they're built like a tank so I'm guessing a used one in great condition can serve you well. I don't know much about the 28-70 but for me the extra 4mm on the wide end would be a very favourable thing so I vote for the 24-70. That would be a killer lens to own.

I bought mine used/open box from amazon, sharp as balls. (okay balls arent sharp, you know what i mean)

All sizes | The Yawn. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Thank you for the vote of confidence, I will look deeper into the option of this lens.
It got stellar reviews, I saw due to its very good VC it was chosen over the Nikon, the Nikon is still a bit sharper but has no VR.

YMMV.

I was willing to sacrifice a little IQ in order to have a lens that will suit my shaky ADHD ridden frame. I also like that it's a tad smaller and a tad lighter and the hood isn't so large (although there's a reason the hood is so large on the Nikon). The weigh of the lens is pretty insane actually, and the Tamron is lighter with the VC components. I was able to get it for under $1100 "used". I say "used" because it was still brand new, it was an open box item on Amazon and it came in the original box, the warranty information was still in the sealed package and the lens still had the protect plastic on it. There was no way I was going to get a Nikon for that price and I really appreciate the VC like I said.

I'm just throwing it out there as an option. I plan to couple the Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC with it as well.

Although one thing people may not like is the "onion" bokeh compared to the smooth balls from the Nikon.

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my thread and helping me decide what lens to get.

If everything will go smoothly I will be the proud owner of a new mid zoom lens which I am sure will make me VERY happy ;)

24-85mm VR will be up in the market very soon too.

Here is a shot I took this morning with my 28-70mm 2.8.

Here is a shot I took this morning with my 28-70mm 2.8.

If I didnt already made up my mind what lens to choose this picture really wouldnt be a great help.
But it is a very ncie picture, very peacful, very classy.

Few more hours to go and I will have my new lens with me :sexywink:

Most reactions

Back