Nikon 24-70 F2.8 VR ?? or third party lens??

They are two completely different lenses. Depending on your body and purpose, having the reach is better than speed.

SM
For me it is the zoom range and extra reach of the 24-120.
I prefer the convenience of shooting without having to change lenses.
If you end up in the 50-100mm range, you have to switch between the 24-70 and 70-200. It is easier to just use a lens that has that coverage.
I was at a concert, and the 70-200 was just a bit too tight at the short end, but a 24-70 at the long end would be too short for small group/individuals. So I would have been swapping between lenses all night. Or use 2 bodies with a lens on each.

Most of my pictures are of my kids. I feel like the tamron 24-70 f2.8 will be sharper under f4 and have better bokeh.

Other than that I like the Nikon 24-120 and all of it's advantages.

Decisions, decisions!

Most of my pictures are of my kids. I feel like the tamron 24-70 f2.8 will be sharper under f4 and have better bokeh.

Decisions, decisions!
Just saw a deal posted that Beach Camera
via Newegg has the 24-70 G2 for 1199 with a $200 gift card for Newegg. FWIW

Decisions, decisions!

If you haven't already, you might want to research "onion" bokeh before you pull the trigger on that Tamron. The G2 is reportedly better than the G1, but it has not been completely eliminated. A lot of people aren't bothered by it, but it was a deal killer for me.

I ordered my D750 with the 24-120 f/4. I also have a 50mm f1.4, and a 24mm f2.8 and I can tell you that the 24-120 holds up well when compared to those 2 prime lenses. I know that the pixel peepers don't give the 24-120 much love but, I'm very happy with mine.
Covered bridge 20x30 1.0 by TOM STRAIGHT, on Flickr

D750 w/24-120 @24mm f/8

This newer 24-120 looks promising and for that price should really consider it for the focal length. I’m sure taking pictures of my sons soccer games or football games with the longer reach would really be beneficial.

On a FF camera, you need to be on the sidelines with the 24-120 lens.
If you are on the bleachers, the 24-120 does not have enough reach. Get a 70-300 (or longer) for shooting from the bleachers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back