Nikon 24-70 vs 28-70 f/2.8 vs Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 HSM vs Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (Too Many?)

yoman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
$240595.jpg$nikon_28_70_2_8_m.jpg$sigma-24-70-hsm-thumb.jpg$tamron_28_75_m.jpg

Hello guys,
i now am stuck choosing either one of these lenses

i was planning to buy sigma 24-70 but now i hesitate
the other three competitors seem great also

my question is, what makes the nikon lens 2-3 times higher than the tamron or the sigma one ?
and what aspects do i have to consider before buying either one of these lenses ?

really need your opinion guys, please help :D

View attachment 7585View attachment 7586View attachment 7587View attachment 7588

Hello guys,
i now am stuck choosing either one of these lenses

i was planning to buy sigma 24-70 but now i hesitate
the other three competitors seem great also

my question is, what makes the nikon lens 2-3 times higher than the tamron or the sigma one ?
and what aspects do i have to consider before buying either one of these lenses ?

really need your opinion guys, please help :D

Usually I defend the third party choices as generally speaking third party makers offer cheaper choices with near equal quality to the main manufacturer.

But in this case... the Nikon 24-70 2.8 is a superior lens. If you want a 24-70 and you want the best, the Nikon 24-70 is the best you can get by quite a margin.

The new Tamron 24-70 VC though, you need to look into this one just to say. This could be a great lens in the making!

I also am considering purchasing a good 24-70 f/2.8 but I am going to wait for for in depth reviews of the new Tamron that was just released. If the image quality pans out to equal the Nikon lens I will purchase that one but the filters will be expensive as I think it takes 82mm filters. The price of the new Tamron is around $1,300.

Jerry

But in this case... the Nikon 24-70 2.8 is a superior lens. If you want a 24-70 and you want the best, the Nikon 24-70 is the best you can get by quite a margin.

I agree with Nikon Josh on this point. I just purchased a 24-70 a few days ago and while researching its competition nothing seemed to come close. The new $1300 Tamron might....but its not being released till the end of May.

You want to look for sharpness over its entire aperture /focal range. As well as chromatic abberation, distortion, build quality, etc. Lots of reviews available on google.

I have not tried the other ones you mentioned, but I use my nikon 24-70 all the time and have nothing bad to say about it. its an exceptional piece of glass, I don't regret purchasing it at all...if its something you're interested in, you may look at a good one on the used market. it may save you a little bit, but they still hold their value really well..

Well one thing is that nikon is guaranteed to be backward and frontward compatible with all past and future body's

In regards to the nikon though I have read and watch vides on you tube though about light passing through the focus finder.

you might want to look more into that.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd never heard that issue, I just barely tried exactally what he did with my lens and had no light leaking with it on my D3s even up to 20s exposures at ISO6400 50-55mm about 1" from a 60w incandescent bulb. I wonder if nikon has already adressed this issue, or if his is a bad copy or something...

When my D90 was my primary body I opted for the tamron 17-50 instead of the nikon 17-55, mainly because of price. However, when I went full frame I decided to go for the nikon 24-70 over the tamron or sigma. I had heard, and read, such great things about the nikon version that I decided to try it out, knowing that it'd be a workhorse of a lens for me because of its range. The day after I picked it up I shot a wedding and it never came off the camera. It's a fantastic piece of glass. A little heavy, by the end of the night my arm was getting tired, but a gripped D700 + 24-70 isn't a light setup. But quality wise? A great lens. Like was mentioned, it is an investment but it definitely holds its value over time.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back