nikon 300 mm prime lens with teleconverter

I found the 2x tc iii to be less about soft images and more about lacking consistant focus. I used the 2x on a 300mm 2.8 for a good while. I had some very sharp images with it, but most of the time focus was slightly off. There is no way to AF fine tune For distant and close subjects you need to find a distance you usually shoot at and go from there.

I really try to use tc less and less now. I think they are great when you can use them in a controlled way. I almost use them the opposite as what you would think to use them for now. I now rarely use it unless i have a small subject close. And rarely use them on subjects near infinity.

I've got the 300mm f2.8 vrII with both the TC 1.7 II and now another TC-E2.0 III. This one was a replacement as the first one bought was really soft, however this new one, exactly the same model, is fantastic. Go figure?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I found the 2x tc iii to be less about soft images and more about lacking consistant focus. I used the 2x on a 300mm 2.8 for a good while. I had some very sharp images with it, but most of the time focus was slightly off. There is no way to AF fine tune For distant and close subjects you need to find a distance you usually shoot at and go from there.

I really try to use tc less and less now. I think they are great when you can use them in a controlled way. I almost use them the opposite as what you would think to use them for now. I now rarely use it unless i have a small subject close. And rarely use them on subjects near infinity.

I use the 300mm 2.8 with both TC and they both do the job well, but agree on the focus of the 2X. I already new that, and if you do the math it makes sense. I think it depends on what you are trying to do though, for example I take a lots of bird photos because birding is one of my hobbies. If the bird sits still no problem, but if it moves around or trying to take photos of BIF that is another story. For more static photos I almost always focus manually, like the old days. For the 1.7...I do not run into theses issues.

BTW, I only use the TC...only if I really have to.

Nice post!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back