Nikon 3200 or 5100 or something else? Pre-Newbie

cleglue

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife and I are Pre-Newbie's to photography. We are looking to purchase an entry level DSLR camera. I read ziggy84's thread on Nikon 5100 and 7000 however the 7000 is not in our price range. The Nikon 3200 and 5100 are. Which is a better camera the 3200 or 5100? The packages below are current prices as of last night. We are looking to photograph our children and our honey bees which is a new hobby we got into in August.

Any suggestions on these cameras or another recommendation?

Thanks in advance for the help.

• Nikon D3200 DSLR Camera
  • 18-55 mm Nikkor AF-S DX VR Lens
  • 55-200 mm Nikkor AF-S DX VR Lens
  • Rugged Nylon Camera Bag
  • 16 GB SD Card
  • WU-1a Wireless Mobile Adapter
  • Nikon School Instructional DVDs & Photo Guide
Price $779.99

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Body
18-55mm Nikkor AF-S DX VR Lens
55-300mm Nikkor AF-S DX VR Lens
Nikon System Case
4GB Class 10 30MB/s SDHC Card
Nikon School D5100 DVD "Explore New Techniques"
Nikon School "Guide to Digital SLR Photography"
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
Quick Charger
USB Cable
Audio Video Cable
Camera Strap
Nikon ViewNX 2 CD-ROM

Price $799.99

Welcome aboard.

The D3200 has a sensor with higher MPs, but unless you're getting large prints, it shouldn't make much difference. The D5100 looks to be a little better in low light than the D3200. I believe both cameras have the same AF system. Neither camera has an AF motor in the body, so you'll have use AF-S lenses unless you want to focus manually. For a first body, I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

The 18-55 is a pretty good kit lens. The 55-300 will give you more reach than the 55-200, but I don't really know enough about either one to know which is better, overall.

Definitely go to a store and try to handle both. They probably are fairly close in the build and controls, but you want to make sure they "fit" before you buy.

D5100 but they are getting hard to find locally because of the value of that kit. I went back and forth between the 5100 and 7000 and ended up pulling the trigger on the 7000. Good luck with your decision but the 5100 is a lot of camera for that price.

...of the 2 options you have posted,the 5100 looks to be the best bargain.Ever consider used?Of course it's buyer beware,but there are tons of good deals out there.

cleglue; both deals look good, but if you consider the MSRP of each, the D5100 deal is fantastic.

I think the main physical difference is that the 5100 has the "twisty" display, something that the 3200 does not have.

If the two mentioned deals are for pre-owned product I don't think they are worth considering at all. I bought a 5100 a month ago brand new (came with 18-55 lens and accessories) for $430 and the lens 55-300 that's included in your package I just checked you can score new for $350-$400. That equals $799 or less brand new. Don't be fooled as most of the other stuff in there either comes with the camera or you can buy for close to nothing, relatively speaking, like the books or SD card. The case may cost you a bit if you want a large one of good quality. Similar holds true for the 3200 package combo. If these are new go for it, but I would personally get either camera as a kit brand new with the standard 18-55 lens for 450 and build up my accessories on my own from there. By the way, I am very happy with my D5100 and you should be very happy with either camera.

CaptainNapalm,

Thanks for the information. These are new packages.

I have been doing the same as you!!! its drivving me nuts I am going to buy online at the stroke of midnight chrimbo day, in the boxing day sales!! I think I am swaying for the d5100, people have been saying its small to hold.. but not sure if it is same size of d3200 I have held the d3100 in store that was fine, hopefully d5100 is, Ihave small hands any way... I have been told not to use a tamron lense?? are they no good?? I know i need to get one with vr .. I need an affordable zoom ?

I have been doing the same as you!!! its drivving me nuts I am going to buy online at the stroke of midnight chrimbo day, in the boxing day sales!! I think I am swaying for the d5100, people have been saying its small to hold.. but not sure if it is same size of d3200 I have held the d3100 in store that was fine, hopefully d5100 is, Ihave small hands any way... I have been told not to use a tamron lense?? are they no good?? I know i need to get one with vr .. I need an affordable zoom ?

d5100 is slightly larger than the d3100, but not by much

Got my D5100 this fall..Had spent a month of reading reviews. This one got my vote..Features are enough for the average intermediate to some what advanced photog. image quality..breathtaking. Learning curve..I'm 73..If I can learn this camera, the rest of you youngins, it should be a breeze.
Weight and hand holding..get a grip..25.00 on ebay..Makes it feel like its big brothers. lenses 35mm1.8..I've seen post with this combo that are breath taking. Although my pics are still lacking the pro quality. I am only encouraged that in time this camera will give me great shots that I will post anywhere.
Stay with the forum. Read every thing you can. Start posting pics. Listen to the C&C. most of thes folks are semi pro at a minimum. the fact that they take time to reply amazes me..Good luck...Good Camera,,Ed

Thank you for all the advice. We bought the below package. Ordered it on Christmas day and received it on Friday. We have taken about 170 pictures. We really are not sure what we are doing but are learning. I ordered two book from Amazon.

Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots by Rob Sylvan (Jul 27, 2011)

Nikon D5100 For Dummies by Julie Adair King (Aug 2, 2011)

Nikon System Case
Quick Charger
USB Cable
Audio Video Cable
Camera Strap
Nikon ViewNX 2 CD-ROM

Price $799.99

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you for all the advice. We bought the below package. Ordered it on Christmas day and received it on Friday. We have taken about 170 pictures. We really are not sure what we are doing but are learning. I ordered two book from Amazon.

Nikon D5100: From Snapshots to Great Shots by Rob Sylvan (Jul 27, 2011)

Nikon D5100 For Dummies by Julie Adair King (Aug 2, 2011)

Nikon System Case
Quick Charger
USB Cable
Audio Video Cable
Camera Strap
Nikon ViewNX 2 CD-ROM

Price $799.99

Hey!!
I got my d5100 yest Let me know how you get on with your dummies guide I nearly ordered that yest, There are a few books for the d5100 I couldn't decide :), could you let me know how the 2 books compare?? I liked the look of snap shots
Anyway maybe we can check on each other see how we are all getting on??. Any pointers , stumbling blocks, I wanted to do a local beginners course here in the uk, But the damn thing is full before my trip away! nightmare

Anyway all the best

I got this kit, I was able to snag staff 10% discount through a friend and hopefully the nikon £55 cashback does work , A bargain!!

Buy Nikon D5100 DSLR with 18-55mm VR Lens Kit from our Digital SLRs range - Tesco.com

Had everything in there incl strap just no memory card,
(no memory card, I bought a 16gb class 10 yest )

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back