Nikon 35mm 1.8G or 50mm 1.8D need help deciding

I had the Nikon AF-S 35 mm f/1.8G lens but sold it after a short time, because of the CA problems the lens has.

Could that have been a problem with your specific lens?
No, but don't take just my word for it.

Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8G DX Lens Review: 4. Conclusion & samples: Digital Photography Review
Conclusion - Cons
Slightly soft and low in contrast wide open
Lateral chromatic aberration somewhat higher than traditional 50mm 'standard' primes
Prone to purple fringing and bokeh chromatic aberration, most visible at large apertures

KmH: Thanks for the reply

Could that have been a problem with your specific lens?
No, but don't take just my word for it.

Nikon AF-S 35mm F1.8G DX Lens Review: 4. Conclusion & samples: Digital Photography Review
Conclusion - Cons
Slightly soft and low in contrast wide open
Lateral chromatic aberration somewhat higher than traditional 50mm 'standard' primes
Prone to purple fringing and bokeh chromatic aberration, most visible at large apertures

Similar test result with photozone. But for $200, it is not bad. According to photozone, the CA can be easily corrected in post processing as well as in-camera CA correction.
Lateral CA is a b!tch to correct post process.

Longitudinal CA is what gets fixed by image editing applications.

Chromatic aberration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Image processing to reduce the appearance of lateral chromatic aberration
Chromatic aberration results in a permanent loss of image detail even before the optical image is digitised or captured. This detail cannot be restored other than by recapturing the original scene with a better lens. Some digital image manipulation software producers and camera software producers falsely claim the ability to remove or correct chromatic aberration from camera images post capture. However, what these software effectively do is reducing the appearance of fringes produced as a result of lateral chromatic aberration.
In an ideal situation, post-processing to remove or correct lateral chromatic aberration would involve scaling the fringed color channels, or subtracting some of a scaled versions of the fringed channels, so that all channels spatially overlap each other correctly in the final image.

Most reactions

Back