Nikon 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 ??

Adamricochet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I recently got a Nikon D5100 with the kit lens 18-55mm and got the Tamron SP AF70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD as my Telephoto.
Want to add a portrait lens to my repertoire, stuck in choosing between Nikkor 35mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.8, n my budget is $200. Will the 50mm be too 'tight' for doing portraits? And would the 35mm would be more suitable for panoramas? Which one gives a better 'Bokeh' effect??

Say i'm shooting some1 with 50mm n want to catch more of the surrounding, can i step back n get the exact same angle as I would with the 35mm? Which one gives a sharper image 35 mm or 50 mm?

Thanks,
Adam

I believe 50 mm 1.8 is the one to go, even if I would preffer a 1.4

The 50 1.8 is a much superior lens compared to the 35. The 35 is the only lens I've regretted buying. It was cheap and I have a D5100 too so thought I'd give it a shot. I used it for maybe a week and its never been used since. The 50 1.8 on the other hand, probably my second favorite lens that I own at the moment, heck I like it more than my 24-70 nikkor.

It all depends on how you shoot, and where you plan to be shooting. I have both the 35 and the 50, and well I haven't touched my 50 in months I actually forgot I even had it until I read this thread. For me the 35mm is perfect for shooting indoors giving you just enough range to step back and get the shot you need. I believe the 50 may have better brokeh but the 35 is pretty as well, Id suggest using your kit lens @35 then @50 and see what you would prefer.

I just bought the 35 and I love it. I also plan on getting the 50 soon. Get both.

The 35 is known for bad CA, and has inherent barrel distortion that makes it a very bad choice for people shots, especially any type of close portraiture.

The 50 1.8 is known to be an unbelievable bargain for what it costs. If you want a faster lens.. look at the Sigma 50mm 1.4! It is a very good lens. As good as the Nikon 50 1.4, and has even better bokeh.

Thanks all for your thoughts ! Finally, got the 50mm 1.8 AF-S today. Was actually lucky to find it online with free shipping, its on pre-order everywher.

-Adam

I have the 35mm and have a love hate relationship with it. I love the sharpness and look of the images I get with it but at anything over f8 the CA is really bad. I originally thought I would be using it more for outdoor landscape stuff but with the higher f-stops not working for me that has not been the case. At f4 - f8 this 35mm 1.8 is a fabulous lens for the money.

I am a fan of the 35mm 1.8.
Looks like you got the 50mm.

Post some photos. :)

Most reactions

Back