Nikon 35mm f/1.8

akazoly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a Nikon D40X camera and I'm considering buying this lens: Nikon 35mm f/1.8
As you probably know, my camera doesn't have a built-in focus motor, and my choices are limited due to my reduced budget:

- Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (manual focus only)
- Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8
- Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G ED DX VR

In the past I had the 50mm f/1.8 lens, but I sold it due to the lack of auto focus. I used to shot flowers with the 50mm lens. I took these photos with the 50mm:

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Red tulips | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can I take similar photos with the 35mm lens ? In other words can I get close to the flower as the 50mm?
Is the "35mm f/1.8 AF-S" lens a better alternative to the "50mm f/1.8", in my case?

I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks!

You will not have as tight of a crop with the 35mm vs 50mm. The d40x has a 10.xx mega pixel sensor so cropping the picture after it was taken should still produce decent quality/size prints.

I have the 35mm f/1.8 and I wish I would have gotten a 50mm or longer focal length fast prime. But for $200 the 35mm f/1.8 is hard to beat. I would love to have the 85mm f/1.4 but that is $1000.

BTW the 35mm f/1.8 works great!

I have the 35 mm lens and it is great! It rarely leaves my camera!

You should be able to get similar results because the 35mm can focus closer then the 50mm, making up for the wider fov/dof. The working distance won't be as comfortable, but it's achievable.

As far as I know the 50mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/1.8 have the same focus distance, 1 foot.
Can someone show me some flower photos taken with the 35mm lens?

Thanks!

I wouldn't call them good pictures but here are two taken with the 35mm f/1.8

Edited-0020.jpg

Edited-0017-1.jpg

As far as I know the 50mm f/1.8 and the 35mm f/1.8 have the same focus distance, 1 foot.
Can someone show me some flower photos taken with the 35mm lens?

Thanks!

Not according to the specs. 50mm is listed at 1.5 feet, 35mm is 1 foot.

The wonderful thing about the internet is that we no longer a stuck to just "what we know," we can actually look things up. ;)

@edouble Thank you!
I heard is hard to obtain Shallow Depth of Field at 35mm, but your images looks great. What do you think how shallow is the Depth of Field at 35mm f/2.8 ?

Also, wait a week to see if the rumored upgrade to the 35mm Nikkor is announced or not. Then maybe this one will lower in price. Just something to consider.

If that's the case then get the hopefully-soon-to-be 50mm f/1.2

At very close subject distances depth of field is virtually identical with any lens...it's hard for many people to believe this, but at close range, like on these lily photos edouble posted, the depth of field with a 60mm macro lens and a 180mm macro lens is virtually identical if the image size of the subject is the same with both lenses...if you try the experiment, you will find that out for yourself...at very close ranges and relatively high magnification ratios, depth of field is independent of focal length,and depends on magnification ratio. When I first heard that I could hardly believe it, and it took a side-by-side 60 vs 180 macro test to make me understand that principle.

Shallow DOF is easy to get in the close-up range, with any lens.

Last edited:
I have a Nikon D40X camera and I'm considering buying this lens: Nikon 35mm f/1.8
As you probably know, my camera doesn't have a built-in focus motor, and my choices are limited due to my reduced budget:

- Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (manual focus only)
- Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8
- Nikon AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 G ED DX VR

In the past I had the 50mm f/1.8 lens, but I sold it due to the lack of auto focus. I used to shot flowers with the 50mm lens. I took these photos with the 50mm:

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Red tulips | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can I take similar photos with the 35mm lens ? In other words can I get close to the flower as the 50mm?
Is the "35mm f/1.8 AF-S" lens a better alternative to the "50mm f/1.8", in my case?

I would be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks!

I own a Nikon D40 and I do own this 35mm lens as well. You will not be sorry if you buy it, it's a nice lens and the fact that it's 1.8 is awesome for the money! I tried a 50mm but took it back due to its lack of autofocus. I didn't like missing out on some pics I could have gotten while fumbling around with the 50mm. Good luck!

I love my 35. It's a great low light lens. I have a review of it on my youtube channel in my sig. It's my only 1.8 lens and that large aperture really comes in handy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back