Nikon 35mm f/1.8

martin7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I really like this lens as my only lens believe it or not. I have to move my feet a little bit and it isn't quite wide enough for landscapes but I still like it. It's tiny, lightweight, fast, and cheap. Great bokeh on portraits. Anyone else a fan or use it as a primary lens when travelling or out and about?

I really like this lens as my only lens believe it or not. I have to move my feet a little bit and it isn't quite wide enough for landscapes but I still like it. It's tiny, lightweight, fast, and cheap. Great bokeh on portraits. Anyone else a fan or use it as a primary lens when travelling or out and about?
Yup. When I was shooting Nikon, it was my best lens. I have the D version (35 AF-D) and it's fantastic on my film cameras.

ive owned a few iterations of this lens. I had the 35mm 1.8G for my crop frame cameras and the 35mm f2 AF-D for full frame.

when i switched to Fuji i quickly picked up the 35mm f2. its small, light, and has incredibly fast AF.

I use it for indoor sports. Can't beat FAST glass in low light. Let's me shoot at ISO 3200 vs 12800 or 25600.

But it isn't my primary glass.
That would be the 18-140, simply for the zoom range.

It's basically everyone's first lens.

I love it on my 7200 and 5100.

35mm * 1.5 (crop sensor factor) = 52.5 mm.

The 35mm (on a crop sensor) is the modern equivalent of the "nifty fifty" which is traditionally an "everyman's lens" (or as someone else but it, it's everyone's first lens).

I like prime lenses, personally. There's something that draws me into the picture taking process about NOT having a zoom lens, and having to move my feet to frame it the way I want.

I went for a long time with the 85mm prime as my only lens (after having my 35mm stolen). Many, many times I wished for my old 35mm lens for the wider FOV. So I missed shots because I couldn't always get far enough away from the subject - it would have been more logical to have the 35mm lens, where I wouldn't have lost shots, but I could always have walked closer to my subjects....

I also had the 35 1.8g DX. I absolutely love it. It was super affordable and I always recommend it to anyone getting their first Nikon DX DSLR.

I wish Nikon made more DX only prime lenses because they would be a little smaller and slightly more affordable.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back