Nikon 500mm

Gromit801

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has Nikon ever produced a 500mm Catadioptric (mirror) lens to fit a Nikon FG? I guess that'd be a series e? I'm not a Nikon owner, but my wife is, and I'm thinking xmas gift if such a thing exists.

Nikon 500mm f/8 Reflex-NIKKOR
(not a Series E)

Nikon 500mm f/8 Reflex-NIKKOR

There were 8 Series E lenses -- five primes (28,35,50,100,135) plus 3 zooms (36-72,75-150,70-210)

That's a shame. I have Minolta gear, including a 500mm CAT, and it does a great job, I use at least a monopod, and get sharp shots. Nice focus too.

The 500mm Reflex Nikkor will fit the FG just fine.

Nikon made 500 mm and 1000 mm cat lenses . I own both . They are premium nikkors. E was economy but no way optically inferior.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 Pro using Tapatalk

There are two versions of the 500mm f/8 Reflex Nikkor. The older one is rather large and bulky but is about half the price of the newer one. The newer version is much more compact and focuses a lot closer. I have had both, but only have the newer version now. Because the depth of field is narrow, focusing is critical and the finder is a little on the dark side. Microprism is not useable but if you get your eye dead center you may be able to use the split image. More likely than not, use the ground glass to focus.

Last edited:
Has Nikon ever produced a 500mm Catadioptric (mirror) lens to fit a Nikon FG? I guess that'd be a series e? I'm not a Nikon owner, but my wife is, and I'm thinking xmas gift if such a thing exists.
Nikon made 3 versions of a 500 f/5.0, 4 versions of a 500 f/8.0, 4 versions of a 1000 f/6.3, 3 versions of a 1000 f/8.0, and 3 versions of a 2000 f.11,0. These are mirror lenses, Nikon F mount, and they will work just fine on your FG.

Since the 500mm f/8 cat has no aperture, any of the 500mm f/8 Nikkors will fit on it just fin. You will have to work in manual or aperture priority though.

Nikon made basically 2 versions, I have owned both. The newer version is very compact and far more compact than the older version. The newer version seems to be just a tad sharper than the older version.

Most reactions

Back