Nikon 50mm 1.8 AFD

Ian Ol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a D3200 camera and this lens will not autofocus when used on this camera. When connected to my sons D4 it autofcuses superbly. Why?

AF-D lenses do not have a focus motor built into the lens like AF- S or "G" lenses do. On AF-D lenses, the AF works by a screw drive system, so they require a camera that has a built in focus motor in order to turn the focusing mechanism in the lens.

the D3x00 and D5x00 series of cameras do not have a built in AF motor, and therefore require newer AF-S or "G" lenses for auto focusing to work.
the D4 has a built in focus motor and is able to autofocus any Nikon AF lens.

It's covered in detail in the user manual of the camera, pages 167-169.
Manual is also downloadable from Nikon's site if you don't have a copy.

As mentioned you need AF-S / G lenses to autofocus on your d3x00 or d5x00. The body simply sends electrical signals to the lens which in itself does the focusing internally on the lenses .

Whereas on higher end bodies the motor is in the camera body for AF/AF-D lens support. Higher end bodies can also use the AF-S/G lenses. And the in-body motor turns a screw (which you can see on the mount - it looks like a miniature standard flat headed screw driver tip) which turns the lens gear for focusing. AF/AF-D etc lenses require the body to have a focus motor in them.

Here's more info .. go to the 1998 section 2/3 the way down ==> Nikkor Lens Technology

Your D4 is defective. You must send it to me for an extensive, 5-year rigorous testing period to determine and rectify the problem. :cool-48:

Your D4 is defective. You must send it to me for an extensive, 5-year rigorous testing period to determine and rectify the problem. :cool-48:
It's his Son's D4.
I want to know why his son as a D4 and he has a D3200 !!

Most reactions

Back